Cat "cone" prevents grooming - suggestions?

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Wee has a severe eye infection and is under strict orders to wear and "Elizabethan" collar (or "the cone") for a minimum of 2 weeks. It can't come off, no exceptions, so her eye will heal. She is being a real trooper about it, and has gotten used to wearing it, but she can't groom herself.

I will skritch her neck, chin and the back of her head for her since she can't do it (the expression of ecstasy is adorable), but I'm not sure about the rest of her.

She is indoors only, like her 7 other "brother & sisters" and we have Cat Genie litterboxes so she doesn't have the issue of litter stuck to her paws or her butt. She has never gotten a bath with water, so I don't want to start now - far too much stress while she's trying to heal that eye.

Any suggestions? Should I let the other cats try to groom her? Get some waterless shampoo or wipes designed for cats? I'm I worrying about something I don't need to be? She will have to have this collar on until at least July 5th, when she sees the eye doc again, but he emphasized she'll probably have to wear it after the 5th for a few more weeks.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she like to be combed/brushed? Get a small bucket (or other container) of warm water, dip the comb in and comb her. Continue this way until you've done her whole body. Do this every day, or every other day.

I used to do this with Ootay
when she got too old and arthritic to do much washing. She LOVED it and got very excited every day when I got her little white bucket out. She would purr and purr and twist and turn every which way to make sure I didn't miss a single spot.

Some tips: keep a paper towel handy to clear fur off the comb before dipping it back into the water.

When you are finished, dump the water outside, rather than down the drain, so you don't clog the drain. If you live in a high rise and duming outside is not feasible, put a paper towel over the drain and pour slowly, and the paper towel will catch the fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

8whiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Otto, that's a good suggestion I haven't tried yet. She's not in love with being brushed, but she'll tolerate it (as long as I'm willing to crawl all over the house after her).

The paper towel used as a strainer to catch the cat hair is a great idea. One of those "duh! Why haven't I thought of that" kind of things. I'll be sure to do that as well. Thanks!

At least she's high enough on the totem pole that the other cats aren't making TOO much fun of her.... ;-)