Cat Completely Stopped Using Litter Box After Antibiotics

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys. I am at my wit's end. I'm an old poster who's had cats all my life, but here I am stumped by this...

Pia has never been a perfect litter box user. She can't be allowed on anything with carpet or she will poop on it. That's how it is. She has 2 boxes, both of which I scoop every day, and I use cat attractant clumping litter, with boxes that are several times bigger than she is, but occasional litter issues are still just a reality of living with this cat.

But now, after a course of antibiotics for a dental infection, she has completely 100% stopped using her litter box. She has crapped and peed on everything from my couch to the top of my desk to the side of my wall. I have done nothing for the past 48 hours but sit on my knees trying to scrub her waste out of everything I own.

She does have runny stool, I'm guessing from the antibiotic. I skipped one meal and am now mixing her food with rice. It is slowly improving. But I don't think she's just not making it to the box. She has time to run across the house to decide to poop on top of my desk. She's not using her litter box for peeing either. She's just choosing not to use it, period.

I don't know what to do. I currently have her in my office with her food, litter, and cat bed, because I am sick myself and I can't handle this right now. I need 6 hours of her not peeing all over everything and being covered in her poop. I don't know what to do. I'm desperate, honestly.

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try putting sheets of newspaper on the floor. This sometimes attracts them to use it as a litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try putting sheets of newspaper on the floor. This sometimes attracts them to use it as a litter box.
I don't think that's going to work. I am KonMari'ing my house and have tons of cardboard out flat on my living room. She'd still rather go on top of my desk, or on my furniture, or up the side of the wall. It makes no sense. It's like she is avoiding everything that even makes sense as a litter box.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could well be the antibiotics that are changing her behaviour but she might also have another issue such as a uti. Could you try lining the litter box with an old towel to see if that will attract her to use it. I know its not ideal but if it works its a step in the right direction to get her using the box again and a towel is easily washed.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The antibiotic she was on is also used for UTI's at a similar dose to what she was on, so if she'd had one before, she certainly doesn't now. I don't have any extra towels now due to previous KonMari. *sigh* I have Feliway, I might try that, but I am sick and very limited of energy right now.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a a number of,things: trip to the vet, being pilled, the antibiotics them selves affecting her or even the fact that your house is a bit disrupted by cardboard and your sorting. If you possibly can, keep her contained in a smaller space , like a bedroom or bathroom. If she has diarrhea she is going to go when she has a urge, regardless of where that is so her being in the same room as her litterbox will help. Or a large kennel would work,too.

Hope you are both feeling bette soon

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It could be a a number of,things: trip to the vet, being pilled, the antibiotics them selves affecting her or even the fact that your house is a bit disrupted by cardboard and your sorting. If you possibly can, keep her contained in a smaller space , like a bedroom or bathroom. If she has diarrhea she is going to go when she has a urge, regardless of where that is so her being in the same room as her litterbox will help. Or a large kennel would work,too.

Hope you are both feeling bette soon
I really don't know, because as far as she's concerned, the only difference is the diarrhea. Meds were in her food, she goes to the vet a lot for her heart condition, and I've been doing KonMari for nearly 2 months and she's been fine. But after those meds, she's going everywhere and increasingly aggressive towards me, too. Normally when she's freaked out (as she is quite a lot, she's a high strung cat) I can comfort her, but she doesn't wanna be near me at all. She just hides under things.

Yup, I've called the vet, waiting for a call back. But I honestly think she's just freaking out. She evidently does have some degree of control, she's eating, she's alert... she's just losing her mind for some reason.

For now I have her shut into my office, with food, water, litter box on the opposite side of the room, scratching post, lots of Feliway and catnip, and a good viewing window. She's still hiding under my desk. *sigh*

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Great you are talking to her vet. Cats don’t just lose their mind. There is either something physical going on or some stressor that is causing her not to use the litterbox.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not saying it is a UTI, but I will tell you that not all antibiotics work on eliminating a UTI. To determine the exact bacteria of a urinary infection a urine culture would need to be done. Once the exact bacteria is identified a specific antibiotic can be prescribed.

If the vet is OK with it, you might want to try something like Metamucil, or another fiber additive, to help with the diarrhea until she has completed her current meds. Maybe the meds are making her situation worse, and if the diarrhea could be eliminated or reduced, perhaps this new behavior would stop.

You can also try to obtain some carpet remnants and use them to see if that would at least entice to go on the remnants instead of everywhere else. There are also relatively inexpensive washable rugs you can buy that have the feel and look of carpeting as well.

Is she getting any pain meds for the dental infection? That could also be contributing to her behavior.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am not saying it is a UTI, but I will tell you that not all antibiotics work on eliminating a UTI. To determine the exact bacteria of a urinary infection a urine culture would need to be done. Once the exact bacteria is identified a specific antibiotic can be prescribed.

If the vet is OK with it, you might want to try something like Metamucil, or another fiber additive, to help with the diarrhea until she has completed her current meds. Maybe the meds are making her situation worse, and if the diarrhea could be eliminated or reduced, perhaps this new behavior would stop.

You can also try to obtain some carpet remnants and use them to see if that would at least entice to go on the remnants instead of everywhere else. There are also relatively inexpensive washable rugs you can buy that have the feel and look of carpeting as well.

Is she getting any pain meds for the dental infection? That could also be contributing to her behavior.
What I'm saying is that the antibiotic she was on is the exact same antibiotic they give for UTI's. So she does not have a UTI. Also it doesn't make any sense for her to stop using the litter box only after being on an antibiotic if it had anything to do with a UTI. She was using the box pretty consistently before that.

She had no symptoms of pain, and I can't give her any medication at all for anything, or she immediately panics, gets aggressive, and stops using the box. Something like this has happened every time she has been on any kind of medication. The theory is that any interference with her normal body sensations triggers her anxiety and aggression. The problem with that is she has an incurable heart problem that is going to require more and more medication over the years.

At this point my lungs are burning from constantly having to disinfect my house. I am allergic, and this is making it completely out of control. I've added another litter box. She pees in it, but continues to poop on everything in the house -- including her own food bowls. Yes, her food bowls.

Right now we are trying to treat her anxiety. I don't know what to do at this point. Treating her medical problems causes her to contaminate my house so severly that it makes me sick. What am I supposed to do? Not treat her?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, if it is the antibiotics causing her issues, then once they are out of her system the issues should go away, based on your theory, correct? If the issues continue after the antibiotics are out of her system, then it is not likely because of the antibiotics.

Are you also suggesting that her heart meds are contributing to her problems? If so, then talk to the vet about the possibility that she is allergic to one of the ingredients in those meds, and ask if there are similar meds you can try instead. Also, if taking meds stresses her - beyond just the idea that they are disrupting her normal body sensations - there are all sorts of ways to specially compound meds that are not just in a pill form. They can be compounded with specific flavors, and in various different forms (even transdermal). They might cost more, but I am sure that would be acceptable to you if that would help her stop the behaviors you are struggling with.

Further, if there is no allergy with the meds, and you find a less stressful way to administer them to her, the actual effect of the meds is not likely to be triggering anxiety and aggression due to them changing her body sensations. In all actuality the heart meds should make her feel more normal, not less.

And, please consider that the dental infection - as well as the underlying cause of it - may actually be painful to her. Just because she doesn't look like she is in pain to you doesn't mean she isn't. It would go a long way in helping to explain her behavior.

Lastly, if your lungs are burning from the disinfectant you are using, so is your cat's lungs. Your allergy may be only one factor in why the disinfectant is bothering you. I don't know what you are using currently, but I would highly recommend you try some less caustic cleaners to help both you and your cat out.

Your stress level also will affect her, so that is probably adding to the entire issue.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, if it is the antibiotics causing her issues, then once they are out of her system the issues should go away, based on your theory, correct? If the issues continue after the antibiotics are out of her system, then it is not likely because of the antibiotics.

Are you also suggesting that her heart meds are contributing to her problems? If so, then talk to the vet about the possibility that she is allergic to one of the ingredients in those meds, and ask if there are similar meds you can try instead. Also, if taking meds stresses her - beyond just the idea that they are disrupting her normal body sensations - there are all sorts of ways to specially compound meds that are not just in a pill form. They can be compounded with specific flavors, and in various different forms (even transdermal). They might cost more, but I am sure that would be acceptable to you if that would help her stop the behaviors you are struggling with.

Further, if there is no allergy with the meds, and you find a less stressful way to administer them to her, the actual effect of the meds is not likely to be triggering anxiety and aggression due to them changing her body sensations. In all actuality the heart meds should make her feel more normal, not less.

And, please consider that the dental infection - as well as the underlying cause of it - may actually be painful to her. Just because she doesn't look like she is in pain to you doesn't mean she isn't. It would go a long way in helping to explain her behavior.

Lastly, if your lungs are burning from the disinfectant you are using, so is your cat's lungs. Your allergy may be only one factor in why the disinfectant is bothering you. I don't know what you are using currently, but I would highly recommend you try some less caustic cleaners to help both you and your cat out.

Your stress level also will affect her, so that is probably adding to the entire issue.
Yup, and they have. She no longer has diarrhea. She is peeing in the box (at least for however long until the next mildly stressful thing happens and sets her off again). But now she is pooping -- consistently -- on or near her food. That obviously has nothing to do with a UTI. It has to do with her being very mentally ill.

She is not currently on heart meds because she becomes so anxious and stressed that she can't live her life normally. At this point, that is acceptable, since her heart function is good. But what about when she's older?

I don't believe it is an allergy, because she reacts the same way to every medication she has ever been on: she panics, hides, and stops using the box. This time was just extra gross because the antibiotic also gave her runny stool.

It's not from pilling. I've never pilled her, or even given her liquid meds (and actually, weirdly enough, she lets me handle her mouth more than you'd expect of such a nervous cat). I've always had it in her food. It has to be from the change of body sensation.

I talked to her vet about teeth, and given that she is eating totally normally and this behavior has been consistent over time (i.e. she behaved the same being put on meds for other issues when she had better dental health) that this set of symptoms is not related to pain. He doesn't believe she has any teeth that need treating right now, just a general cleaning under the gum line. We did the antibiotic because her breath turned bad, and we wanted to use it as a way to reduce gingivitis while I trained her to accept tooth brushing, before having her teeth cleaned, so that afterwards we could hopefully go longer without having to put her under again. Buy time, basically.

I can't do that unless I am going to throw out everything I own that she soils, which I can't afford to do. Her waste is a big allergy trigger for me, and things get a lot worse with every litter box I have to add, which she continues to only intermittently use.

And given that she is literally crapping on her food, how on earth am I supposed to disinfect less, unless I really do want her to lose her teeth and have a heart attack from poisoning herself? This is as much a self-mutilation issue as it is a destructive issue. I understand she has a really serious mental problem, and I'm scared for her every day because I can't watch her 24/7 and make sure she isn't literally killing herself. But I've been working for years to try to bring this under control, and one tiny thing changes and we're back to square one, or worse.

But, it is mostly the allergens that are hurting me at this point -- even in a room I haven't disinfected lately, just the amount of soiling is hurting me, and it's hard to clean properly because her space is only rooms without upholstery beyond her cat beds (because otherwise I'd need to replace every upholstered thing in my house within 2 weeks in order to get my symptoms back under control -- cleaning only goes so far with me, eventually the item is just ruined beyond saving), and my cleaning stresses her out even if I do all of it manually and as quietly as possible. I don't see her for a day and a half every time I try to clean.

It's like she's trying to bury herself under a wall of dirt and waste. And at this point, with everything I have tried, talking to her vet probably 3 times a week, I don't know what else to give her. But neither one of us can take living like this.

I can't help being stressed about feeling sick every day because my space where I make my living is now extremely toxic to me.

I understand you're used to people in this desperate of a situation being either lazy or unknowledgeable "never took them to the vet kind of people." I would appreciate if you'd at least entertain the idea, given what extensive evidence there is of such, that I am not an idiot, nor lazy. That I am a person with knowledge who has done all the "did you try plugging it in" kind of stuff already, and that none of those things have worked, and that I am aware my cat is clearly not happy, but that I'm not either and that also has validity.

It has always been like this. You can go back in my post history to, like, 2014, when Pia ripped off my carpet to the floorboards trying to get to another cat who wasn't anywhere near her, so she could kill her. She has always had very severe reactivity. And I'm here, after all these years, because nothing I've done has worked.

I have what they thought would be the best environment for her -- quiet, single adult, daily routine -- and she is still all over the place, still extremely destructive, and still extremely anxious and terrified of everything. I am frustrated and I have a right to be -- I don't deserve to get shamed for having emotional limits, and I'm not going to allow that. But I am also terrified for her, and how much she has the potential to hurt herself because of how bad it is, and how easily set off she is.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So glad to hear the diarrhea is gone!

I am sorry you feel as there are comments/suggestions given to you that infer you are lazy or unknowledgeable. No intent of any such kind. Nor, as far as I can tell have there been any remarks shaming you - most certainly not from me.

We are here to help explore ideas for members and ask questions/offer tips that in many cases help us to get additional information to assess. I am also sorry for, and understand as much as I can, your frustration. You want the best for her, and nothing seems to be working for you.

Perhaps you might want to talk to the vet to see if you could possibly administer something like CBD oil - as in is it legal in your state (I think it is, but not 100% sure) and would be acceptable to use with a cat with a heart condition.

I also don't recall anyone suggesting you use puppy pee pads to cover the areas she is most inclined to go when she doesn't go in the litter box. At least if she would use them, the clean up would be much easier. It is not an end-all solution, but if it would work it would certainly help you out.

I would like to see something give both of you relief - I truly would.

Last edited:

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear the diarrhea is gone!

I am sorry you feel as there are comments/suggestions given to you that infer you are lazy or unknowledgeable. No intent of any such kind. Nor, as far as I can tell have there been any remarks shaming you - most certainly not from me.

We are here to help explore ideas for members and ask questions/offer tips that in many cases help us to get additional information to assess. I am also sorry for, and understand as much as I can, your frustration. You want the best for her, and nothing seems to be working for you.

Perhaps you might want to talk to the vet to see if you could possibly administer something like CBD oil - as in is it legal in your state (I think it is, but not 100% sure) and would be acceptable to use with a cat with a heart condition.

I also don't recall anyone suggesting you use puppy pee pads to cover the areas she is most inclined to go when she doesn't go in the litter box. At least if she would use them, the clean up would be much easier. It is not an end-all solution, but if it would work it would certainly help you out.

I would like to see something give both of you relief - I truly would.
Thanks. It just kind of felt like that, when my stress levels were mentioned. Yes, they are high! Partly it's this, but partly I have other life issues, illnesses, and reasons for being stressed.

My location is wrong, I actually moved to Virginia a couple years ago. CBD is not legal here. Medically, the next step would be a psychitric medication. I honestly don't want to do that to her, because those glimmers of sanity that she has for a few weeks or months at a time give me hope. But at this point, she's so sick and self-harming that I have doubts.

I considered the pee pads, but the thing is, for the past week, she is going in one place consistently: her food. She's doing this despite that I have increased the number of litter boxes, moved the bowls, etc. So... would she use them? I have my doubts. Part of me is also afraid she'd start going randomly again in places I can't see easily, which makes me quite ill until I find it. I don't know which is worse.

I am wondering if part of the issue is that when she has these episodes, I have to have her in a room with minimal furniture apart from her own, in order to protect myself. I do go spend time there every day, but much less. And she seems to very quickly go asocial/semi-feral and start regarding me as a threat, when I'm not spending all day with her.

The thing is, the alternative is me being sick all the time, and replacing all of my furniture 2 or 3 times a year, which I literally can't afford. I am starting to wonder if I don't have what she needs. But equally, I am wondering who would.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for responding! I have no idea what Pia is trying to tell you by pooping on/near her food bowl. Will give some more thought to that... I guess you could try getting her an elevated food bowl, and then place pee pads around it?? Worth a shot anyway.

As much as you can, you need to spend time with Pia to let her know you are not abandoning her. A lot has been changing from what you have explained, and I would suspect she is feeling insecure about that on top of everything else. She needs to know you still love her, despite all the changes. What else can you provide her with in that room - maybe some cardboard boxes to hide/rest/feel safe in? Rub some of her scent on some disposable towels/etc. and use them to perhaps entice her into these new spaces for her? Cardboard and disposable towels can be thrown away if she would end up using them as litter boxes. And, if she would, then perhaps you could find replacement boxes and use puppy pee pads.

How about CBD hemp oil? I thought I saw something that said that is legal in Virginia. At least you could check that out and see??

You know what the end-result of what you said about wondering if you don't have what she needs and who might. At this stage of Pia's life, she has you or an alternative I don't want to mention.

Let's keep exploring everything until there is nothing more to explore - I am confident we are not done yet!!

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding! I have no idea what Pia is trying to tell you by pooping on/near her food bowl. Will give some more thought to that... I guess you could try getting her an elevated food bowl, and then place pee pads around it?? Worth a shot anyway.

As much as you can, you need to spend time with Pia to let her know you are not abandoning her. A lot has been changing from what you have explained, and I would suspect she is feeling insecure about that on top of everything else. She needs to know you still love her, despite all the changes. What else can you provide her with in that room - maybe some cardboard boxes to hide/rest/feel safe in? Rub some of her scent on some disposable towels/etc. and use them to perhaps entice her into these new spaces for her? Cardboard and disposable towels can be thrown away if she would end up using them as litter boxes. And, if she would, then perhaps you could find replacement boxes and use puppy pee pads.

How about CBD hemp oil? I thought I saw something that said that is legal in Virginia. At least you could check that out and see??

You know what the end-result of what you said about wondering if you don't have what she needs and who might. At this stage of Pia's life, she has you or an alternative I don't want to mention.

Let's keep exploring everything until there is nothing more to explore - I am confident we are not done yet!!
The issue I'm having right now is that we are locked with two choices: either I damage my health, or she has the deterioration whatever bond she's capable of having to me (I'm honestly not convinced she's that bonded to anything, but if there's anything she could be, it's probably me...). I have her in the place I have her because that is the least damaging to me. At what point do I need to say my health matters more? Like I said, I am not capable of handling repeatedly soiled upholstery. I need to dispose of it fully, after less than a handful of incidents. The expense of that is untenable, and spending the majority of my time in these spaces is damaging to me, given the way she's treating them and that I can only clean in short bursts without sending her into a total panic.

I do go in there every day -- I work in there, like I said, and I do try to have a positive interaction with her whenever I'm in there. But most of the time she hisses, swats, or won't come out, and I physically can't spend more time than I do. It's not ok for me. I've spent a lifetime throwing my own needs aside for whatever the reason of the day was, and my body won't tolerate that anymore.

She does have her furniture, toys, and my desk up to the window with her cat bed with my clothes in it on top. It's actually really hard for me to even do work in there, because I really have tried to accommodate her and now it's more her room than it is my office. At this point, she also has my larger craft room open to her, but for some reason she rarely goes into it. She spends 90% of her time under my desk, despite having access to these things. Combined, it makes up just as much space as she had when I lived in an apartment. She's as unconfined as I can reasonably allow her to be without harming myself too much.

I don't honestly believe anything that mild is going to make a dent on a cat who is so sick and mentally screwed up that she craps on her own food. Feliway, tryptophan, you name it, I've tried it. Nothing helps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Nothing can work if you don't try it. But, when you say:

At what point do I need to say my health matters more?
It seems like you may have reached that point.

I am sorry for Pia and for you. I can offer nothing more than what I, and others, have already offered. I wish some of the things we suggested would have been things you thought you could try; but, I understand if they are just not solutions for you.

I think looking into no-kill rescue centers, even perhaps farms that take abandoned cats to live out their lives, etc. - something of this nature that would be willing to take Pia seems to be the relief you need. If you will tell me what city, state you are in, I will look for you. I can't guarantee anything, but for the both of you, that might be what's best.

If you don't want to share your city/state location here, you can send me a pm. I don't want to see Pia or you suffer anymore.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing can work if you don't try it. But, when you say:

It seems like you may have reached that point.

I am sorry for Pia and for you. I can offer nothing more than what I, and others, have already offered. I wish some of the things we suggested would have been things you thought you could try; but, I understand if they are just not solutions for you.

I think looking into no-kill rescue centers, even perhaps farms that take abandoned cats to live out their lives, etc. - something of this nature that would be willing to take Pia seems to be the relief you need. If you will tell me what city, state you are in, I will look for you. I can't guarantee anything, but for the both of you, that might be what's best.

If you don't want to share your city/state location here, you can send me a pm. I don't want to see Pia or you suffer anymore.
The reason I say that is because by everything I've read, hemp CBD tends to be a lot less powerful than CBD with other cannabinoids present (like I said, thought of everything...). So I am not fully convinced it actually has a use as an anti-anxiety medication, compared to marijuana CBD.

I have actually thought of making Pia indoor/outdoor. I do have a fenced yard. Normally I am very against that, but if it was a way to make it tenable for me to keep her, I'd consider it. But the thing that worries me is that she is so extremely violent towards other cats, and also she is quite petite, and not very strong. When she tried to kill my foster, my concern was never that she would succeed. It was that she was going to be killed herself, by a cat twice her size and three times stronger.

She really is just driven to a sort of madness -- I can see that what she's FEELING is fear, but her reaction is pure illogical aggression, even when her "foe" is someone she'd never win a fight against. There's no making friends, just instant attack. And, like any other neighborhood, I do have a stray or two that occasionally makes it on to my property.

So, I'm scared for her to be outside and that she'll get ripped apart when she tries to take on a big strapping tom. And yet, I'm not convinced she is capable enough of an attachment to enjoy being around people very much either. I'm so sad for her, but so worn out, myself.

I know she has existed around other animals before. Maybe because she was introduced to the territory and didn't regard it as "hers." I don't know. I am going to talk to her vet again on Monday. I do wanna ask about psych meds. But honestly, it feels hopeless at this point. I'm still struggling with the same issues with her that her first home had with her 7 years ago.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

For some reason I just saw this, I must be tired. I'm in Richmond, VA. Thank you. I am so scared for her. Scared to keep her, scared to find her a new home... I know what her odds are like, at middle age with health and mental problems. *sigh* I'm just scared of everything, surrounding her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have actually thought of making Pia indoor/outdoor. I do have a fenced yard.
Could you afford to buy/build her a catio? There are tons of options. Some actually have passage ways into the home, if you would be able to deal with that.

Here is one example of a thousand different options.