cat collars and bells cruel?

missycab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of our cats wore a collar, with a ID tag. The bell was reserved to our deaf cat, so we could hear where he was, since he couldn't answer to our calls.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats wear collars, no bell. As long as they are breakaway or safety collars they should be fine. I think there is nothing wrong with them wearing a collar with a bell.  I do suggest though if your cat is an outdoor cat, really think about them wearing a collar with a bell. My outdoor kitties wear a collar without any bell. This is because I knew of another cat years ago that had a collar with a bell on it, the owners thought it would help the birds to know when the cat was around. Sadly the cat had gotten killed by some dogs. He was hiding and the bell rang, that was all there was for that cat.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know those little gold or silver balls that chime beautifully? Many years ago, I saw a pair of earrings with very small chiming balls dangling from them. I commented to the jeweler that it must be extremely annoying to have those ringing in your ears constantly, and she said that her customers had told her it was not. The earrings only chimed when the wearer began moving her head in an agitated manner, at which point the chime provided some much needed soothing.

Now, I don't believe that a collar bell is equivalent. I do believe that, for the most part, it only rings when the cat is tearing around at top speed, and too involved in whatever game she's playing to give a darn about a collar bell.

Margret
I know that none of my cats, except these two, gave me problems with their collars or bells. But I could hear them when they just walked around.
Those earrings sound nice.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that none of my cats, except these two, gave me problems with their collars or bells. But I could hear them when they just walked around.
Those earrings sound nice.
They were. I wish I'd bought some when I had the chance. An eBay search on "chiming ball earrings" produces a lot of hits, all silver (or silver and brass, or silver and enamel, or silver and semi-precious stones), no gold, and only one pair with smooth balls that would be easy to polish, listed as "vintage?" for $87 (with a pendant, though). You'd want to buy some anti-tarnish silver cloth as well if you bought any of them.

All my cats except Sweet Thing have had bells on their collars, with no sign that they were in any way distressed by the bells. And it really is a safety factor. Pretzel once slipped her harness at a desert rest area in Idaho. I searched and called with no luck, but as soon as it got dark she decided she was invisible and came out of hiding, and I followed the sound of her bell. We'd have lost her if she hadn't been wearing it, and I seriously doubt that she would have survived.

Margret

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the gentle tinkle, it tells me f they are hiding in a room, if they got out my phone number is on the collar with their names. Mine each have two collars, one with bell and one with name and phone embroidered on them, both breakaways. I bought ten bell collars when they were on sale for 99 cents at big lots. My dogs have the same ID collars. My girl used to go out and had a tipped ear, I never wanted her mistaken for a feral cat again, so I bought hot pink collars with phone number and a bell to notify the wildlife she was coming!

Last edited:

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are chipped, but still wear collars saying that they are indoor cats and with my phone numbers on them. They are indoor cats, and as far as I can tell, have no interest in escaping to the outdoors but you never know. The good thing about a chip is that it cannot be lost and it provides a lot of information. However, someone actually has to identify that the cat is not supposed to be outside and take it to a vet/shelter to get the chip scanned. At least with a collar, someone will be able to identify that the cat has a home.

I don't know whether bells are cruel (I guess it would depend how the cat handles it), but I don't think they are necessary either. And I can't imagine listening to the dingle dingle all day long. I suppose it would be helpful with little kittens who tend to get underfeet all the time.
Clearly you have never had a cat decide to attack your rear end out of nowhere. All the cats in our house have bells, because all of them have, at one point or another, ambushed me and sunk claws into my poor, abused derriere. The bell isn't supposed to warn potential prey that the cats are coming--just me. And, FYI, one of the things cats learn is how to move quietly enough that the bells don't ring and my only warning is the tinkling in midleap. (I don't where fringe or any kind of string that might attract their attention; my pants do not have shiny buttons on the pockets that might attract their attention.)

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Comet is an indoor cat with brief visits out doors on harness and leash until his stroller arrives. When the stroller arrives he will be harnessed and leashed in the stroller. He only wears a collar because if he becomes loose (god forbid) without his license he is sent to the kill shelter 45 miles from here, and I don't have a car to drive up and rescue him. So he's collared all the time (No bell). He has his rabies tag, his name tag, and his license tag. That jingles enough with out a bell to add to the headache.

I just can't wait for his stroller so I can really go for walks without missing him cuz he's home all alone.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Clearly you have never had a cat decide to attack your rear end out of nowhere. All the cats in our house have bells, because all of them have, at one point or another, ambushed me and sunk claws into my poor, abused derriere. The bell isn't supposed to warn potential prey that the cats are coming--just me. And, FYI, one of the things cats learn is how to move quietly enough that the bells don't ring and my only warning is the tinkling in midleap. (I don't where fringe or any kind of string that might attract their attention; my pants do not have shiny buttons on the pockets that might attract their attention.)
:clap: poor you. Maybe you should put a book between your derriere and your trousers. That would shock them.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they are cruel at all. My cats have collars with bells on them and they don't make sound every time they move...

moonlitekittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two of my cat wear collars on almost permanently basis and they are just fine... People is more aware of it than they are....

bigb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
misskalamata what fence product did you use thanks

ghostradio

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two indoor rescue cats, one collared with bell & one without a collar. The bell boy has never seemed to mind his collar or the bell, he wore both as a kitten. It jingles as often as his tags. He wears the collar because he often tries to get outside & the bell helps us to not trip over the lug. But it is a break-away collar that will come apart if it ever gets stuck on something. He is very cuddly & likes to rub on peoples' feet.

Our other cat was saved from being hung by the neck from a tree. Naturally she did not trust humans afterward, or want things around her neck. She's been living with us for 2 years now & is comfortable with getting pet by all family or guests. She has never tried to go outside & I feel no need to stress her with the change of wearing a collar.

I've never thought of bells as cruel? My cats are domesticated & don't hunt or go outdoors. I think the main reason for collars is to show ownership of them with tags.

sassychic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was considering putting a collar on my cat just while we get adjusted to his routine and behavior. I don't think it is cruel as long as the collar isn't too tight or damaging the skin/fur.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two indoor rescue cats, one collared with bell & one without a collar. The bell boy has never seemed to mind his collar or the bell, he wore both as a kitten. It jingles as often as his tags. He wears the collar because he often tries to get outside & the bell helps us to not trip over the lug. But it is a break-away collar that will come apart if it ever gets stuck on something. He is very cuddly & likes to rub on peoples' feet.

Our other cat was saved from being hung by the neck from a tree. Naturally she did not trust humans afterward, or want things around her neck. She's been living with us for 2 years now & is comfortable with getting pet by all family or guests. She has never tried to go outside & I feel no need to stress her with the change of wearing a collar.

I've never thought of bells as cruel? My cats are domesticated & don't hunt or go outdoors. I think the main reason for collars is to show ownership of them
with tags.
I always used the collars with bells just so that I'd know where they were or if they were coming. For me really. My two now were not happy so they remain collarless.

athegaylouise

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

My girls until recently have always worn collars with bells on and they never bothered them, or didn't seem to?!
Three of my five indoor only cats wear safety collars with bells on them, and it helps me, personally, to feel secure that they are safe & sound when I can hear them jingling through the house.

The sound is so quiet that the birds singing outside is louder than the tinkling of the little bells. It isn't like they wear great, clanging cow bells under their necks.

The bells don't appear to bother them one bit, and Ginger has even learned she can walk without making the bell jingle when she feels like sneaking up on someone.

I think that calling it "cruel" is more than a bit strong. My cats are most certainly NOT abused.

The Bengals refuse to wear collars, period, so against my own personal preference, I got the two of them microchipped, just in case they ever get out and are lost or stolen. Ironically enough, the microchip packages came with tags for (the nonexistant) collars that say, "I am microchipped."
Yea I would definitely agree that using the word "cruel" is a little harsh. Both my indoor cats have the tiny little bells on them and they barely make any noise at all. My cat Blair has also learned how to walk without the bell making noise when she is trying to sneak into my roommates room to steal his cat's food haha It's just nice to know whey they walk in and out of a room, and especially nice for my tiny 2 month old kitten Dallas who can easily be hidden or get underfoot. Even though they are indoor and never go outside, it's just a comfort to have them collared with tags in case they ever slip out somehow.They are also microchipped, but most people see a cat with no collar and assume it's a stray. 

My cats don't seem to mind their collars and tiny bells at all. I do think it's a good idea to use breakaway collars though, especially if your cats are like mine and climb up inside the couch or bedframe and possibly get their collar stuck on something. 

I'm pro-collar! :)

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a collar with a little tag on it I used to put on my kitten because I was paranoid about him getting out, but once he was grooming himself and got his jaw stuck in the collar.  I have been too scared to put it on him since especially when we aren't home.  I don't think I will bother with one unless we are traveling or something.  I am just too paranoid about him getting stuck in it and hurting himself.  He is microchipped.