cat collars and bells cruel?

hellocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It depends on your cat. If they like wearing a collar, then why not put a collar on it? 

Good for wearing a collar: 1. You can have your cat's name and your phone number on the collar, that's to say, there is more possibility to get your cat back if it gets lost.

2. Some collars are really so cool that they can make your cat eye-catching.

3. LED collars provide maximum visibility so you know where your cat is.

To be honest, there might be some bads, but if your cat is ok, then everything is ok. We are making efforts to make cats happy, right?

BAHS09

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My indoor cat Star wears a collar and id tag, but only because she has the tendency of slipping outside through vents, open doors, and other regions (our area is too dangerous for her to be outside. No one ties up their dogs or anything, so she could be hurt or even killed by a passing dog). And not to mention I'm scared of her exploring away from the house and not being able to find her way back home (we just moved to a different part of town). Thinking I may have to switch her id tag to a non-dangle one though, the noise seems to be bugging her ears.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try Boomerang pet tags. That have a tag that slips over the collar and doesn't dangle. Ailish is 8 lbs, so on the small side. Even the smallest dangle tag seemed too big, plus it got on my nerves banging on her food plate and just generally seemed unwieldy. It didn't seem to bother her. I learned about Boomerang on here and I like at a lot. Nice and sturdy and easy to remove to a different collar.

Yourmomgay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like what Arlyn said. I got a collar with a bell for my cat yesterday, and my cat’s scared of it and now these nice people are making me feel bad and stuff because im being cruel to my cat like wow thanks ;,)

Yourmomgay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I like what Arlyn said. I got a collar with a bell for my cat yesterday, and my cat’s scared of it and now these ppl are making me feel bad and stuff because im being cruel to my cat like wow thanks ;,)
(Oh and dont worry im joking. Dont @ me im 14)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats are indoors, and personally I don't like them wearing collars with bells as they keep me awake at nights. Imagine them playing all together and with all the jingling sounds coming from their bells in the early morning or at midnight.

They used to have collars without bells, but I also took them off.

MeowHiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kiki doesn't like collars, but she's fine with a harness. We only use the harness for walks and vet trips.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat wears a breakaway collar with a tag that has his name, my number, and the fact that he's microchipped. It looks nice on him, plus he's a generic orange cat so if he gets out (he's indoor only) hopefully the collar will be on and he can get home quickly.

Bells do irritate me. His collar doesn't make any noise at all and he doesn't even know it's on.

I don't even like the tag jingling from dog collars - my dog wears a collar with tags, but I have wooden tag between his two metal ones so they can't hit together and make noise.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Binx and Kaia both wear collars, both with bells. Their bells are super quiet though. Doesn’t seem to bother them.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dont know if this has been mentioned....... someone just told me he calls the bell a cat wears on its collar a "dinner bell". That is dinner for a coyote.

Its makes sense, the bell may attract predators.

PassifloraFoetida

Perpetual cat bed
Young Cat
Purraise
Our indoor cats don't always wear their collars, but they do have collars and harnesses both with and without bells. The bells were really necessary at first because my husband, who uses a wheelchair, had never had cats before and took a bit to learn to look before moving. Similarly, the kittens didn't realize that they shouldn't sneak up behind him and lay behind his chair even after a few minor accidents. So we got the bells in an attempt to make them a little less invisible for him. The cat's aren't affected one way or the other by anything we've put on them, and we always make sure they're comfortable and have time to adjust to anything new. All three of them eventually learned to walk silently despite tags and bells, and they only wear their collars when they go outdoors for supervised walks, just in case they get spooked and disappear. Outdoor cats are the norm here, and most of them don't wear collars, so the collar/harness helps distinguish that mine are cats that definitely aren't supposed to be outside alone.