cat collar material?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get my cats use to wearing collars, as my one cat has to wear one now for the auto chip/tag feeder... and I feel its unfair if the other cat doesn't wear one... anyways I'ved tried just about every material I have, paracord/nylon, a super soft rat's tail nylon cord, small crochet cotton thread, and even an old cotton tshirt that had been cut up. I've tired skinny and wider styles but it all seems to be driving him nuts. He will walk/run a short ways (darting around?) scatch at it, kind of hunker down. I was thinking of trying ribbon next but figered I would post on here for other ideas in case that doesn't work.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi-just to double check, is the feeder controlled by his microchip, or what I think you're saying it's a separate chip that's in a little metal tag? Could you get a feeder that's run by his microchip?

Have you tried any commercially made collars -you need to consider that the collar should be a breakaway even for indoor cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi-just to double check, is the feeder controlled by his microchip, or what I think you're saying it's a separate chip that's in a little metal tag? Could you get a feeder that's run by his microchip?
She doesn't have a microchip, the vets refused to microchip them unless they where under sedation, so she has to use the tag that came with the feeder.
We finally had to get her this feeder because our big boy wouldn't stay out of her food in the middle of the night. If he wasn't waking me up getting in it/knocking it over she was waking me up to open her bowl so she could eat, then I would have to try to stay awake to close it... In the end this tag/microchip feeder has been heaven even though super expensive. haha
But I feel bad for her having to wear a collar 24/7 and him not, I try to treat them fair.... They both didn't wear any collars before this except for when bad weather hit so short term stuff. She is doing good with her cotton tiny string collar but hes just a mess with everything.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd stop trying to get him to wear one, it's stressing him out more than anything :)

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd stop trying to get him to wear one, it's stressing him out more than anything :)
but but its not fair.... haha and honesty as much as he gets his front paws out the door it would be smart to have something on him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even more important if he's going outside is to have a commercially made breakaway collar.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even more important if he's going outside is to have a commercially made breakaway collar.
I've been making his collars, and yes I use break away clips. He is an inside only cat, but he thinks several feet outside the front door is still inside.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The neighborhood has to many loose dogs, and several people who would hurt him on purpose.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is to step back and try this.

Drape the material over his shoulders, remove it and give him a treat. Repeat just only this a few times.

Then start leaving it draped over his shoulders for a longer time, again removing it and giving a treat.

Gradually move it up to his neck, and then around his neck, but again, remove it after just a little bit, and give a treat.

Training him that the collar isn't a dangerous, bad thing will take time and patience, but eventually with a slow gradual approach like this he'll come to accept it.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is to step back and try this.

Drape the material over his shoulders, remove it and give him a treat. Repeat just only this a few times.

Then start leaving it draped over his shoulders for a longer time, again removing it and giving a treat.

Gradually move it up to his neck, and then around his neck, but again, remove it after just a little bit, and give a treat.

Training him that the collar isn't a dangerous, bad thing will take time and patience, but eventually with a slow gradual approach like this he'll come to accept it.
He does fine with it on for a short time but its like the longer its on the more it irritates him/his skin or something

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She doesn't have a microchip, the vets refused to microchip them unless they where under sedation, so she has to use the tag that came with the feeder.

Inserting a microchip is no different from giving a vaccination. A syringe with a needle at the end is used. I'm not sure why your vet needs the cat sedated for a microchip :dunno: Are your cats aggressive when at the vet? Could the vet prescribe a one time dose of gabapentin or something that you give a few hours before the appointment to have the microchip inserted?

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Inserting a microchip is no different from giving a vaccination. A syringe with a needle at the end is used. I'm not sure why your vet needs the cat sedated for a microchip :dunno: Are your cats aggressive when at the vet? Could the vet prescribe a one time dose of gabapentin or something that you give a few hours before the appointment to have the microchip inserted?
I don't understand it as well the vet says its to painful on cats, any other way

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The needle gauge is on the larger side because the microchip is the size of a grain of rice but it's only a temporary ouchie to cats.

Most cats don't like wearing collars and will try to get it off but they eventually get used to it and just ignore it. You may need to have patience with your cats.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The needle gauge is on the larger side because the microchip is the size of a grain of rice but it's only a temporary ouchie to cats.

Most cats don't like wearing collars and will try to get it off but they eventually get used to it and just ignore it. You may need to have patience with your cats.
I don't like how it rubs on their hair. They do have a new vet in there now since the last time I asked, might not hurt to ask again.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update!!!!
The new vet has no problem mirco chipping them without sedation so they both going in Tuesday! Its been along time since I've been reading about the mirochip brands but they said its called 911 chip.... I checked with her feeder and it says "Compatible with all identification microchips worldwide & SureFlap RFID collar tags"Feeder its going to be $35 a piece and since they both saw the vet resently they are just calling it a tech visit so there isn't an office fee. My truck doesn't have AC so I am worried there, I do have some ice pack I can put under a towel in their carries but I don't know if they will like stepping on them. Tom the big boy also doesn't like the travel and pants alot which stresses me out so bad. I was told to put a towel over his carry to see if that will help him try to stay calm. Any other tid bits would be helpful.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Woohoo that's great news!

You could dampen the towels that go over the carriers, and maybe have a couple of water bottles in a little cooler so you can "freshen" the cool dampness as you leave the vet.

There are small battery run fans, I don't know if that might help to get the air moving?