Cat clicked jaw at new cat, what does this mean?

scootermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,  my husband and I adopted a new three year old cat, Jason,  a week and a half ago after losing our beloved 10 year old recently...  We have an 11 year old,Bandit, and he has been accepting of our new boy, and not shown any sign of aggression since the new boy came home.  Today I was watching through my web cam that the new boy came into our living room as our 11 year old was sleeping... The new guy took a walk around, the 11 year old wakes up and made a snapping, clicking sound with his jaw which scared the new guy off into the other room.. The 11 year old made no effort to go after him, he just went back to sleep.  Could this be a sign of aggression?  Or maybe interest?  Does anyone have any ideas?  He has never done this at all in his life that we have ever seen.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Was it a rapid fire clicking repetition?

This is usually done at prey, cats will do it at animals they see outside the windows. Ours do it at birds and squirrels outside the windows, or at bugs that get into the house they want to hunt.

One of our cats, Sinbad, also does this at another cat, Tempest. It scares the crap out of Tempest as well as it usually presages an excited charge.  In Sinbad's case it's not a hostile sign, it's just extreme excitement. But that doens't matter to Tempest unfortunately, for her it's just a sign that Sinbad is about to charge at her and try to force her down and lick her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scootermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, Sorry for my delayed reply...  

It's a one time click, usually followed by a loud meow as if to say back away..  My older one did it a few times throughout the day yesterday, but never went to attack..  I think he's being defensive right now as our deceased boy used to bop him out of nowhere sometimes and he may see the new boy as a threat.  

Last night all was peaceful with them.. I had them eating treats I left in a trail together, and they came face to face several times and did nothing..  It's just I have never heard my 11 year old do this ever, so it is coming as a surprise.  

I have a feeling he's doing it like your Sinbad does.. 

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The good thing is they seem to get along and clicking is the most you've seen. I've had cats that would punch and hiss and growl at each other until they finally decided to be friends. If he did this to the other cat who would bop him, then he'll probably stop once he realizes Jason isn't going to be jumping on him out of nowhere.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scootermom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far Bandit has hissed a few times today, but no clicking..  Jason is becoming more and more playful as he acclimates to our home and Bandit is not used to being with a playful cat.  The funny thing is, when Bandit hisses, Jason softly meows in response as if to say, "I'm not a threat."  Now to get Jason to come out and play or even walk around while we're home.. A whole other story.. He's making progress day by day...