Cat Chin Acne

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat's chin started swelling yesterday and I just noticed black pecks on his chin coat. I have never used plastic bowls, it has always been ceramic food bowl and there has been no change in diet. I am honestly not sure why he is getting chin acne and this is his first time getting it and in such a big extend that the black pecks are everywhere in his chin.

I tried scheduling an appointment with the vets around my area, but earliest appointment I could get is next month.. I am seeking advice here because my anxiety cannot handle waiting for such a long time.

My current plan is to:
1) Use Christensen cat shampoo (it is what I have at home for now) with warm water in a towel and lightly press against his chin twice a day
2) Apply Vetericyn Plus Feline Antimicrobial Hydrogel right after each wash from previous step

Is this a good plan? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this at all, but maybe a link to other members' posts might help if you want to look through them, as well as a general article about it? It isn't probably what you are specifically looking for but might be beneficial while you wait for others to respond.
Search Results for Query: chin acne | TheCatSite
Cat Acne: Causes, Treatment, Prevention, and FAQs | PetMD
Thank you! I was just looking at the different articles and posts. It seems that majority of the people use soap, not sure if cat shampoo can replace soap. 😭

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can even use Stridex pads for feline acne. I'm thinking any type of cleanser should be ok and the use of the Vetricyn should be the most helpful.

Are you washing his food and water dishes with hot soapy water between meals? Yes, not using plastic is good, but they still need to be thoroughly washed. And ceramic can have tiny cracks which can hide bacteria so you might check for them just in case.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah: The key is to find the source of the problem, but while you are doing that, taking measures to help treat the symptoms will most certainly help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kry

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can even use Stridex pads for feline acne. I'm thinking any type of cleanser should be ok and the use of the Vetricyn should be the most helpful.

Are you washing his food and water dishes with hot soapy water between meals? Yes, not using plastic is good, but they still need to be thoroughly washed. And ceramic can have tiny cracks which can hide bacteria so you might check for them just in case.
Yes! I wash it every time he finished eating with hot soapy water. I feel like it could be that he’s not cleaning his mouth as thoroughly as he does as he ages (sometimes he just goes straight to playing).. not sure if that is a thing.