Cat Chewing

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a very common issue with kitties I supposed, but my case is not very dramatic (i.e. she's not really that interested with electric cords... yet). I had to exclude any fishing pole type toys as she'll just chew right through the string. She likes to eviscerate or rip parts of her mice toys as well. Any fabric string or even foam carpet tiles she'll chew. I don't think she does this for attention, as quite often I don't notice before a long while so discret her chewing is. She also plays a lot by herself and with her half-sister (whom doesn't have this habit at all). I've removed most things that could be bad for her to swallow, but now that she was been depraved of those, she's starting to look at power cords and charging cables, and it's only a matter of time before she chews on those. I guess what I'm wondering is if there are any home-made or store-bought items I could get her to safely chew on so it doesn't get to that. I was considering getting her dehydrated rabbit ears. Anyone have experience with this sort of product? Do they just get bored with these?

Oh and, the kitty in question (the orange/white kitty in my profile pic) is 15 months old, so it's not an issue of teething either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valou999

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some members suggest smaller Kong toys
Those are dog chewing toys, correct? Are they resistant enough to not be torned apart by the extremely piercing canines of cats?

Dehydrated rabbit ears (or feet also) are treats for cat and dogs that simulate natural prey and have some nutritional value to them. It's mostly cartilage so it needs a lot of chewing to be eaten. I've seen cats chew on these or play with them like it's a toy, hence why I thought of these for my kitty. Here's an example of them:

D_H

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure the rabbit ears are safe for cats?
I have a chewer myself and I acutely hide away a lot of her toys when I'm not around..