Cat Chewing & Washing Himself To Pieces - Help!

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently my boy Butch started aggressively chewing at his legs and paws. I became so alarmed I took him to the vet to be examined. The vet said he was either having an allergic reaction to something or it was a behavioral issue (or it could even be both). He has always washed his stomach to the point where it is bare of fur and covered with small rashes.

The vet gave him some antibiotics and prescribed a behavioral modification medicine that is a cream that dispenses from a pen. This is the third day I've given him this medication, which is suppose to calm him down and make it so he doesn't chew himself to pieces. So far he hasn't stopped, but it is only the third day. I'm really worried about him and don't really know what to do about his washing/chewing himself.

I wanted to post here and see if anyone else has experienced this problem and what you did to help your cat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Are you doing a food change or an elimination diet to see if you can determine the trigger, if this is the cause?

Can you find out from the vet when you should be seeing results from the cream?

Can you try playing music - there's classical harp music, the app Relax My Cat, MusicForCats . com

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My last cat compulsively groomed to the point where she was missing large patches of fur (she seemed to target her front legs the worst, as well as a patch by her back leg). The vets and I thought it started when she was suffering from severe constipation and ear mites, but by the time both were resolved, it had become a habit.

You may have to use the Cone of Shame while waiting for the current wounds/raw spots to heal (It might be itching as it heals, which is just going to provoke your cat to chew/lick more than they already are).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be a reaction from the food. Cats can develop an intolerance to food even if they've eaten it for years. Chicken and grains are common causes of food intolerance which results in itchy skin. What are you feeding your cat?

Here is some info on food intolerance:
Article on Feline Cutaneous Adverse Food Reactions (aka food allergies) and treatment

Ask the vet about doing a food elimination trial. You do not need prescription food at all. There are novel protein limited ingredient commercial diets you can buy at any pet store. A food trial needs to be done for at least 13 weeks or so to see any improvement in symptoms. Per My Vet: How Long For Food Allergies Test It's important to feed only the new food and nothing else for the duration of the trial.

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does your cat go outside? I’ve seen this behavior and these kinds of wounds on my passed cat Lily who was allergic to grass mites!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sounds like an allergic reaction to something her feet and legs are coming into contact with, or a food allergy. Ask your vet about a steroid shot, those do wonders for allergies. Do you clean the floors with a certain product? How about the litter? Even detergent on the bedding? You might want to change them if you have been using them for a long time. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think it was the food. My apologies, I forgot to mention this. I had started to transition them on to another food (Purina Beyond Grain Free) about 2 weeks ago.

I treated the situation like a math problem, trying to figure out what "x" was. They've been using the same litter they always use. They don't go outside. Nothing new or strange in the basement where we live. We don't use any chemical products in the house, just all natural or organic ones. I don't use anything on the rugs or floors, just sweep and vacuum. The vet rules out fleas and they are taking Revolution. Finally I realized it had to be the food. So I stopped a few days ago and just went back to their regular food.

He does seem to be healing up. Although all his chewed spots look terrible, they do seem to be healing. However, if he keeps chewing at them they will never completely heal so I may have to revert to that cone of shame idea.

That will not be pleasant for anyone, but it may be the only thing that works. I thought about wrapping up his legs to keep him from chewing/washing them, but he'd probably just chew up whatever I used.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Hopefully the food, the cone help and also try this, from @Mamanyt1953 ;
Use a wash made from commercial chamomile tea bags. Just brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on. It relieves itches, and is mildly antibacterial and antifungal, so it will help prevent any secondary infections, etc. You can get the bags in the coffee/tea aisle of almost all grocery stores.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are bitter tasting medicines that can be applied to the areas that help with healing and taste bad so the cat learns to not lick. I get them at farm supply stores like Orschelns and tractor Supply. when my cats won't let a wound heal. Just make sure they are for cats, not dogs!

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What are the name of the bitter tasting medicines?

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Hopefully the food, the cone help and also try this, from @Mamanyt1953 ;
Use a wash made from commercial chamomile tea bags. Just brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on. It relieves itches, and is mildly antibacterial and antifungal, so it will help prevent any secondary infections, etc. You can get the bags in the coffee/tea aisle of almost all grocery stores.
Thanks, I'll try that.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are several different brands, I would imagine they have them on Amazon too. The brand I have right now is called 'Liquid Bandage' manufactured by MiracleCorp Products. It says it is for both dogs and cats, instantly protects minor wounds and discourages biting and chewing. I got that one at Tractor Supply. Another one that I have bought several times at Walmart is from Petkin and is a wipe called 'Itchwipes'. it says it soothes itch and pain, has aloe, and has a bitter taste to stop licking and chewing. That one really works well.

Shmooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Similar situation- I had been using swheat scoop when this started like 10 days after, noticed over grooming, he vomited a few nights too. I’d been using Stella and Chewy rabbit n goose n Turkey freeze dried but rehydrated for about 5-6 weeks, he also sits at screen door n may have had bug bite cuz it felt like a welt/hive under jowl, too.
Now he won’t eat Stella and Chewys (I’m not sure it was this at all)....I think dust mite, mold count n swheat scoop (I’m changing litter, not saying it’s bad but for him it’s suspect) he was also just treated for lung worms with panacur for 10 days (9/21-9/30). So many factors!!
Paw soak in pink salt with organic acv with mother is good or rooiboos tea.

Shmooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m in a lower level too...suspicious area, too as it could attract mold spores. Use Hepa filter in vacuum or in area!

Shmooo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don’t think he’d want to keep itching/licking if he weren’t uncomfortable??? It releases endorphins to help pain so I’m reluctant to try bitter things as it seems cruel unless u know for sure the problem is rectified
I’m betting it’s multilayered but just hunch. A lot of commercial big brand cat food cut corners for profit!! They care to the least extent to market products-

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
S Shmooo well you also stop your cats from licking surgery stitches or other wounds, however that makes them feel, because you need their wounds to heal. Cats do not know when to stop. Mine, although she wasn’t on medication, shred her little paws, belly and the area behind her ears to shreds every late summer. I wish I could’ve helped her, but there was nothing the vet(s) and I could really do. It is not cruel to keep your kitty from harming herself, just like it isn’t cruel to stop your kid from running while holding a knife ;)

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*although she WAS on medication of course.
Sorry, I don’t know how to edit posts

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just brewed some chamomile tea. Letting it cool and then I'll give it a try. Right now Butch is romping all over the place playing making little cat noises. Maybe that's a good sign.