Cat Chewing Turf

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mods, please move if this is in the wrong section. And if so, I apologize :wave3:

We're making some changes to our cats's catio outdoor enclosure and one of the ideas was some artificial turf covering about 80% of the ground. We're leaving 20% concrete because Baby Girl loves rolling on it.
We thought it would look nice and provide some cushion in case someone does something dorky and climbs the side and tumbles down onto the ground.
So we found some turf and layed it out to flatten. In about 20 seconds one of the boys was chewing furiously at the edge of the section, and got a string from the bottom portion in his mouth. I probably did this wrong, but I grabbed the string and pulled, luckily it was only in there an inch or two.
I went along the edge of this piece and removed any little strings I could find but I'm a little worried about this.
My question is, is turf going to be safe? If he wants to chew on the edges and pull the strings, is this going to be a problem?
He hasn't bothered the actual turf, just the edges. It would be very possible to extend the measurements and leave the edges on the outside of the catio but now I'm worried he's going to do something dumb and I'll be paying for vet bills with money and will feel guilty.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I would not use artificial turf . If the patio is enclosed you may be better off putting down some inexpensive throw rugs or a few sheets of plywood covered with real lawn sections .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good idea James, I wonder if some old throw rugs would work better.
I worry about Baby Girl, she has no fear but isn't as physically strong as she thinks she is. If she takes a bad tumble, she could get hurt.
Whatever we use needs to be weather resistant (within reason, I'm not asking for miracles here) and easy and somewhat inexpensive to replace.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Carpet tiles, maybe? They are pretty resilient, and can be replaced. There are also rubberized tiles that are similar to the carpet tiles. Used for kids play spaces.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever we use needs to be weather resistant (within reason, I'm not asking for miracles here) and easy and somewhat inexpensive to replace.
~ Outdoor carpeting is cheap and should last at least 3 years or more. They use this in Florida quite a bit. If you worry about kitty falling there is thin outdoor padding sealed in heavy plastic for under the carpet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmm. Good question. I know they said they can be used in a sunroom, but didn't see anything about a temp issue one way or the other?? There is a foam version of the same thing, perhaps it would be a better option for not getting too hot?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. Good question. I know they said they can be used in a sunroom, but didn't see anything about a temp issue one way or the other?? There is a foam version of the same thing, perhaps it would be a better option for not getting too hot?
Foam would work better I bet. If anything we might use the foam, put the rug over it around where they like to climb around like monkeys and then use the foam pieces to build a small area that isn't concrete!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foam can be chewed and eaten, too, depending on your cats.
Good point, we might order a few squares and see how they do. I don't think he would, but who knows?
I think we decided we will skip the turf inside the catio but are going to line a section of the dog yard off the patio with it, with some edging. The area is constant mud and it would be nice to have the mud covered so they could be out on grass and come in without tromping through a 4 foot wide section of mud and weeds gasping for life.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
you can get very inexpensive outdoor carpet at home depot. we got a huge roll of it and use it for all sorts of things. it's pretty flat, but a layer or two would cushion a fall pretty well plus your cats could sharpen their claws on it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything can be chewed and eaten, depending on the cat. I have known cats to eat carpet through to and including the padding beneath it - not to mention the artificial turf that started 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 on this venture!! As we have all said - cats can be weird!!
I caught one of our outside cats chewing on some roofing shingles we'd left outside. What the heck could have been interesting about chewing on shingles?!
Baby Girl's obsession is straws. If you have any kind of drink with a straw in it, she weasels her way into your lap, hunkers down, then squints at that straw. She turns her head slowly to the left a full 90 degrees, then turns her head slowly to the right a full 90 degrees as she plots her move, which is usually clumsy and unsuccessful. Usually. It's pretty hysterical, really :lol:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you can get very inexpensive outdoor carpet at home depot. we got a huge roll of it and use it for all sorts of things. it's pretty flat, but a layer or two would cushion a fall pretty well plus your cats could sharpen their claws on it.
Awesome, I'll check this out. Would the website have information?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awesome, I'll check this out. Would the website have information?
not sure this was it - we got grey - but a decent price considering a linear foot is 6' across TrafficMASTER Elevations - Color Leaf Green Texture 6 ft. x Your Choice Length Carpet-7PD5N620072HO - The Home Depot

oh, maybe it was this one. you can clean it with a hose - we haven't, btw.
TrafficMASTER Elevations - Color Sky Grey Texture 6 ft. x Your Choice Length Carpet-7PD5N660072HO - The Home Depot

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise