Cat chases litter in litter box and gets it everywhere?

alex17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I seem to have this problem where Caspian gets in his littler box and he kicks up some of the litter then chases it around and gets littler all over the place. I dont think there is really anything I can do to get him to stop but I just thought I would post it to see if anyone had any ideas on how to discourage it 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats is a digger; fortunately she doesn't throw.  We are always sweeping up piles of litter in the laundry room though.  

I've heard of using storage bins for litter boxes because of the high sides.  Maybe that would help?

my2wins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of mine does this. I've noticed that especially if I stay and watch, she does it more. She lays down and rolls around like she's bathing in something wonderful. What I do now is immediately walk away and it seems to nip it in the bud.

The other thing that helps is high sides on the litter box. I have two "clever cat" boxes that I use without the lids, and it really solves the issue of litter getting out.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Spice is a litter roller. The only way to discourage her is to keep the area around all boxes swept clean at all times. (Yeah, right) Fortunately, her fur is short and it falls off quickly, or else I pet or brush her to get it off.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Matt liked to lay in his upstairs litterbox(I'm sure he kept it just to lay in, because he NEVER used it!)

He'd use his downstairs box exclusively, and refuse to go in the one upstairs, but he'd play in it. I eventually took it away, because it was in the way, and making a mess for no reason. He always goes downstairs anyway. 

I did notice certain types of litter he didn't play in-you could try a brand change?