Cat changed after vet visit

Hanm3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

3 days ago we had to take our one year old (indoor) Bengal to the vets as she has had a bad stomach. She was completely herself before the vet visit but we decided to take her on the safe side. Getting her there was traumatic, she was screaming, clawing us and wouldn't get in the carrier. She had an anti sickness injection and has been given some probiotics for her food.

Trouble is since she has been back she has not been acting herself at all. She is eating, but she's sleeping more than normal. She was also VERY vocal before her vet visit. She used to talk to me constantly. Now when I talk to her she doesn't meow :( it's like she's lost her voice.

I feel really sad that I might have completely traumatised her? Are there any tips to get her back to feeling herself? At the moment it feels as though I have a completely different cat :( I thought she would have been over the vet visit by now?

Thanks for your help.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since you mentioned it was traumatic getting her to the vet I'm sure she's feeling stressed out. Give her time, comfort her but don't hover and monitor her in case you notice any unusual behavior or symptoms. If she's not doing better you may want to contact the vet. I also would be interested to know what type of anti-sickness injection you are referring to, was it Cerenia? Best of luck and please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
[QUOTE="Hanm3, post:

At the moment it feels as though I have a completely different cat :( I thought she would have been over the vet visit by now?
[/QUOTE]
The first time my cat went to the vet for vomiting for 3 days in a row, he was given a Cerenia injection. When I brought him home he kept going to the carrier and sleeping in there, away from me and everybody else. I just let him be. He was not interested in food or anything else. To this day I think it was the Cerenia. He is just very sensitive to that drug.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet for the report card and notes and not just the discharge paperwork they provided. If someone else accounted the ins and outs she went through, you will find it. I used to read all Tom's daily accounts during hospital stays that they'd upload to an app I had access to.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s also worth trying out some ways to make vet trips less stressful, it’ll be better for everyone involved. Some people like to use a top loading carrier so they can quickly scoop up the cat and drop them in to the top more easily. You can also put the carrier on its end with the door open upwards and gently drop the cat in. Some cats tolerate being swaddled in a towel or small blanket and then you can just transfer them into the carrier while you’re protected from their claws. I’d also recommend getting him used to the carrier being around and showing him it’s not scary by leaving it out in plain sight for a few days and putting some treats in it occasionally so he’ll go check it out on his own.
You can also look for a vet that uses “fear free” methods in their practice, they really do help a lot of cats be calmer at the vet. They can also prescribe a mild anti-anxiety medication for cats that get traumatized by vet visits. Our vet started doing fear-free in her clinic and last time we went, she was able to draw blood from my cat while he was just sitting on her lap in a towel. He doesn’t even sit on laps, I was amazed!