Cat carrier preferred?

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have another cat and she’s really a fatty! When I took her to the vet they weighed her. She weighs 14.2 pounds and barely fits in the cat carrier I currently have. What do you as cat owners prefer for transportation for kitty to the vet, traveling or what ever. Advice accepted.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a carrier that will let you put the cat in from either the front or the top, and I prefer the smallest carrier the cat will fit in comfortably — it makes getting the carrier in and out of the car easier, also makes it easier to use the shoulder harness to strap the carrier in.

No soft-sided carriers; I've never had a cat who would tolerate them.

Sorry I can't give you a specific brand name and size; I suggest going to a fairly large pet supply store (say, PetSmart or PetCo) and asking what they recommend. Then ask questions to make sure they aren't just recommending the most expensive.

Margret

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use a large double door carrier.

Your local pet store may have something similar. Cats are quite ok squished into a large cat carrier for a brief trip to the vet. If you prefer your cat have more room, look into a small or medium dog crate / kennel. Some have wheels like this one:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We love the Sleepypod Carriers. They are probably big enough for a 14 lb cat and they are crash tested. They are a bit price but very nice and can double as a bed.

Sleepypod

Our fat tabby got to 18.5 lbs and we used a small dog carrier. He fit much better in that than a cat carrier. This was before we got the sleepypods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s a nice carrier but a little out of my price range. Thank you though

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended getting a top loading carrier, which has been so much easier to get resistant cats in! This is the specific one I use PETMATE Two Door Top Load Dog & Cat Kennel (Free Shipping) | Chewy

The blue and tan are medium (up to 15 lbs.), and they do carry a smaller one (up to 10 lbs.). My cats are between 8-10.5 lbs. I do appreciate them having a little extra room in the medium when traveling. Not sure if they will go on sale this year, but I had bought them on sale during black friday/cyber monday a couple years back.

My oldest cat I've had her carrier for probably 5+ years and still in good condition.

I checked Amazon and Chewy for this specific brand, and they only show small and medium. Your cat would be at the higher recommended range for the medium, so depending on how much space you'd like kitty to have.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! Both of my cats are a little bit on the chunky side for a cat. I’d
Like them both to have a little bit more room than what they currently have.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a sky kennel. They are easy to clean if the cat had an accident or gets car sick.

Soft carriers are definitely not ones I like. I had to throw out an $80 one after one use because my cat had a bladder infection and had an accident. Pee smell doesn't come out no matter how many times I put it through the washer.

I did have a two door one but the top door broke opened when I picked it up with my muscular boy in it. Luckily it was in the house at the time.

The sky kennel you can just hose it down outside and it's good as new.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet recommended getting a top loading carrier, which has been so much easier to get resistant cats in! This is the specific one I use PETMATE Two Door Top Load Dog & Cat Kennel (Free Shipping) | Chewy

The blue and tan are medium (up to 15 lbs.), and they do carry a smaller one (up to 10 lbs.). My cats are between 8-10.5 lbs. I do appreciate them having a little extra room in the medium when traveling. Not sure if they will go on sale this year, but I had bought them on sale during black friday/cyber monday a couple years back.

My oldest cat I've had her carrier for probably 5+ years and still in good condition.

I checked Amazon and Chewy for this specific brand, and they only show small and medium. Your cat would be at the higher recommended range for the medium, so depending on how much space you'd like kitty to have.
I have had the blue colored one for both Artie and Geoffrey. Geoffrey is now 14 lbs, and a big cat.
He has enough room to turn around; but usually stays curled up in the back of it; or meatloafed due to stress.

I had a real nice soft sided carrier for Artie. It was not comfortable for either one of us. I tried using the shoulder strap, no way— too much weight on the shoulder and got me off center.
I did not feel safe in the car with Artie.
The one time he was so frightened, he pooped in it. That was it!!! Used an entire container of Natures Miracle, plus washing a couple of times in the machine.

The smell came out, but I was done with it.

Good luck on your decision.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually have a wheeled soft sided carrier as well. Only one of my cats can use it. The other one can claw his way out of a soft sided carrier :eek3: so he has to use the plastic double door carrier.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats like to be comforted when being taken to the vet so I need something that I can reach into and pet them if possible without Nehemiah getting out of the carrier

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer the airline type carriers..have a tray underneath so if they pee in goes the tray and the dont lay in it and are tough and will last you a hundred years and can be disassembled for storage.

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer the airline type carriers..have a tray underneath so if they pee in goes the tray and the dont lay in it and are tough and will last you a hundred years and can be disassembled for storage.
I think that’s what I’m going to invest in. My girls don’t care for the plastic ones. They cry all the way to the vet and back

Bubblesmom2014

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine cries all the way to the vet because he knows he will get treats when he gets there..lol
Mine get treats too but it’s very sad to listen to “grey kitty “ trying to cry because she can’t meow very well. It comes out as a little squeaky