Cat Can't Walk Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I have 6 cats but I'm here to talk about JiJi. He is 7 months old and within the last month has gotten worse on walking. He was recently fixed almost 2 weeks ago and I had the vet check him out. They said nothing seemed to alarm them into doing any tests, just to let him grow and see if it goes away or bring him back if it gets worse.

He barley walks right now, before he could at least move from room to room. Now he barley can. His front legs seem very stiff, and his paws are always cold feeling. He will barley eat, which I also believe it's because his adult canine teeth are in and the baby teeth have yet to fall out, well one has.

He is deteriorating in weight. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but I am so worried. Going to take him to another vet to get a second opinion.

Any ideas what it could be? Any ideas to make him eat more?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do get him in, and do it as soon as possible. I believe, from what you are saying that he is still eating something? You may want to get a syringe and some pate style canned food. Mix the food with either Pedialyte or water to make it soupy, and feed him with the syringe. You can give him additional water, as well. Dehydration can be devastating to cats. PLEASE keep us posted on how he is doing.

I am so sorry that it took this to bring you to TCS, but I am glad that you found us. We're here, and we care. When things are settled enough, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your entire furry family!

kase44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry :(
I hope he'll get better.

But there's quite a bit of options on what could be wrong.

He could've sprained his legs.
It could be brain damage.
It could be arthritis, although it's not common in younger cats, but still possible.
Or some other kind of infection in his legs

There's also a chance it could be early signs of Feline Calcivirus.

" Loss of appetite
Eye discharge
Nasal discharge
Development of ulcers on tongue, hard palate, tip of nose, lips or around claws
Pneumonia
Difficult breathing after development of pneumonia
Arthritis
Lameness
Painful walk
Fever
Bleeding from various sites "

It could be any of these or even something I didn't list.
But either way you should get him in as soon as possible before anything gets worse.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely take him to another vet for a second opinion. A kitten losing weight would be alarming all by itself, but combined with the mobility issues, this definitely needs investigating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brittany89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone sorry for the late reply. I took JiJi to another vet to get a second opinion. They ran blood tests to check on the liver etc. also leukemia and a few other things I forget what they were called. Everything came back negative. The vet said from what they are seeing him act is probably neurological, feline-cerebellar-hypoplasia is her guess. She said that she doesn't think he will get any better, if anything he could get worse and in need to keep in mind that he may need to be put to sleep if he keeps getting weaker.

At the moment he is walking better, he can't use the litter box, which is fine I can get puppy pads for him, he uses those. He barley eats, I've been syringe feeding him 50 cc couple times a day.

He purrs a lot and is content, I am just worried about getting weight back on him, he eats well with the syringe. I just need to keep up the feedings with high protein food.

I'm not going to just put him to sleep, I know he enjoys life even if he can't run and jump like his brother can. He enjoys a nice relaxing sit outside in the sun or in our lap, some nice warm milk, curled up in a nice comfy blanket purring away.

I won't give up on him until he tells me he doesn't want to fight anymore. He is content and happy as far as I can tell. So this is where we are, and hope to have many more years with my little boy who isn't even a year old yet.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless you for being willing to take this on. Far too many people would have simply said, "euthanize," not realizing that these cats can actually have a fairly happy life. Your love will be rewarded ten-fold!

I thought you might enjoy this article. It has some very basic information on this condition, but also has stories of cats who have lived wonderful, happy lives, even if some of them were shorter than the "norm."

Special Needs Cats: Cerebellar Hypoplasia

Brittany89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, little update on JiJi. He is doing well and I've been researching a lot. He is doing well with his feedings. Still really won't eat on his own, maybe one or two bites and then he quits in frustration I believe. He follows me everywhere, even though it's hard for him to do so. He does not throw up during or after feeding so that's great!

I got a scale to help me keep an eye on his weight to make sure I'm feeding enough through the syringe. He is a small 3 lbs and his brother who does not have CH is 6 lbs, if not more bubble, going off records of when he went into get fixed.

I also got him a kitty bed that way he can lay sitting up and have his blood circulating better as well as to be comfortable. He has been having more accidents because he can't use the litter box, we are in the process of fixing one special for him. I help him relieve himself on a puppy pee pad a couple times a day.

I'm trying to figure out the best amounts to feed him daily, I usually try to feed 40 ml 4 times a day. Is this to little? He is gaining weight since his last appointment so that is good. He is 3 lbs if that helps anyone.

Thank you all for reading the update and I've attached a picture of my sweet boy. He is one of the 6 cats we have. If I didn't have a husband I'd have more!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to ask around and see if I can find someone here with more experience in this than I have...which won't take a lot of experience, as I have NONE. But I know where to look for those who DO know, so hang in there! He can have a wonderful, if different, life for a good long time! And he has a loving mama to care for him.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please ask a vet to put him on antibiotics and prednisone. This combination sometimes will relieve symptoms.

Neurological problems can sometimes be caused by viral and/or bacterial infections. Both antibiotics such as clavamox, along with a corticosteroid (prednisone) can possibly help.

It certainly can't hurt to try.

I had a cat who experienced something similar a few years ago, and two rounds of antibiotics and steroids brought the cat back to health except for a head tilt.

Thank you for your dedication to this cat's care!

Please keep us posted!

Brittany89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will call first thing in the morning and get an appointment set up. Thank you so much for the advice! I may call a different vet because the one I saw recently kept talking about euthanasia, and that's not an option for me if he isn't suffering. The main problem I have right now is getting his weight up because he is only taking food by syringe. He has gained a half a pound since being at the vet, so we are making progress.

I wonder myself it is truly CH, the signs are all there, but he wasn't like this when he was a kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You are doing a great job since he has gained half a pound so far!

It's difficult to know what caused this onset, but I'm surprised that no vet has suggested medicine.

It's a good idea to see a new vet. Just ask the vet to let you try the medicine protocol.

I hope it works out. Let us know!

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
With CH, symptoms don't get worse. If anything, things may improve a bit with age.

His paws being cold is concerning as this meaning blood is not properly flowing to them.

It would be worth having his heart checked out by a Cardiologist to rule out a problem there.

Another thought would be a Thiamine or other vitamin deficiency.

Brittany89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, the vets explanation of the cold paws was probably due to bad circulation because of how he doesn't move very much. As well as because his front legs and back legs are usually put away from his body when he lays down. His paws seem to be warmer here lately.

I will bring this up with the next vet I visit. I'll call around tomorrow and have a nice long conversation with a couple different vets and see if they are willing to help me with him instead of just pushing us out the door like there isn't anything wrong. Our financial situation is fine so I am thankful to be able to afford vet bills. Just wish I wouldn't have just practically wasted almost 200 dollars for a blood test for only a few diseases and they didn't seem to really care, just be prepared to euthanize him sooner than later.
:nono:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Be sure to get copies of those blood tests to take to the next vet so they don't have to be repeated.

I do agree that B-viamins and calcium are very important too. A shot of those might help.

Massaging his limbs daily won't hurt either.

I'm anxious for the vet to prescribe meds for him at this point.

It may require 30 days. That's what my cat needed after losing mobility in her back legs suddenly and being unable to function.

She began to get better after a 2-week course, but then stalled when the round concluded. Another round of antibiotics and cortisone did the trick. Her illness was never really diagnosed, but she recovered.

Brittany89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really do appreciate your advice, JiJis symptoms came on in the back legs first and then slowly made its way to the front legs, took maybe a month for him to be as bad as he is now. It doesn't hurt to try the same thing your cat went through, even if it does not fix it, it is always worth it! Morning can't come fast enough to get an appointment scheduled.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I really do appreciate your advice, JiJis symptoms came on in the back legs first and then slowly made its way to the front legs, took maybe a month for him to be as bad as he is now. It doesn't hurt to try the same thing your cat went through, even if it does not fix it, it is always worth it! Morning can't come fast enough to get an appointment scheduled.
If you can afford it and you have somewhat easy access to one, I would encourage you to see about getting JiJi to a vet school and letting a neurologist take a look at him. Or, at the very least, find a vet that will consult with a neurologist for you (many vet schools will consult with your vet for free).

Brittany89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Will do. I will ask around and see what the costs would be and get things going in the right direction.

Brittany89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wasn't able to get in today. I called the vet I recently took him to and got the blood work faxed to the new vet I'll be seeing soon. I also got his weight from the appointment. He was 2.1 lbs and he is now 3 lbs so he has gained a pound since the appointment last week.

He is doing well today, we've done a few 35 ml feedings and also gave him some water. He doesn't like to get water from the syringe, he has a hard time swallowing it. Food he swallows fine. He was a little dehydrated last night but I gave him water by syringe every couple hours, gums are pinker this morning and the skin snaps right back when I pinch it.

He hasn't been walking much the last couple days, maybe a couple feet a day, so when he is resting I usually switch what side he is laying on after a little while, plus I rub his legs to get the blood flowing.

Attaching a picture from his recent feeding. He will probably need a bath tonight, he peed in his pet bed, so I cleaned him up and washed the bed. I usually try to assist with his peeing a couple times a day. This morning after a feeding he peed very well for me on the puppy pad while I assisted him. He also has been having good poops and I've been making sure there is no blood or bugs in them. The are on the smaller size, but I'm thankful for no diarrhea.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.