Cat can't squat to poo - anything that can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

__caitlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the ongoing saga of my 14-year-old baby, Max, currently working through large cell gastrointestinal lymphoma -- the latest issue we've been dealing with as of the last 1-2 days is that he has lost strength in his back legs and can no longer squat to poop.

I believe this is pain issue, which I'm trying to address ASAP. I will be calling his vet tomorrow and he will be going in for a chemotherapy appt this week too (so they'll be able to take a closer look then).

He can walk fine for the most part, but when it comes to pooping, he falls right down into his own poop. Right now, he vacillates between constipation and diarrhea (really trying everything to get the formula right between food, laxatives, fiber, etc.) -- and is currently in a diarrhea stage. This means that every few hours is a backside full of feces that sticks to his butt, sticks to his fur, is impossible to clean off and a miserable experience for us both. I am also extremely worried about him getting a UTI, which I think would kill him at this point unfortunately.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a solution that helps prevent feces from getting all over his fur (and urethra area, especially)? Is there a type of diaper that would help his poop avoid his urethra? Or any other strategies folks can think of? :( I'm kind of at my wit's end here and I'm sure he is too!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about all this! :alright: Maybe you could try to shape the litter differently so it's inherently lower where he poops? For example, higher at the ends kinda like this: 1639332836332.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

__caitlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have actually tried that -- I've also attempted to try quickly scooping the poop out from under him before he can sit on it.

But the problem is that at some point, he eventually just falls down completely, while still pooping. Meaning he is literally sitting while pooping. So it's not even a cat litter issue anymore -- even if he was just sitting on plastic, he would be getting a butt full of poop because he's literally just sitting on his own poop while it's coming out. 😢

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor baby, and poor you! This might not help every single time, but, maybe sometimes you can kind of sense or watch when he is headed that way and gently hold him? Here is hoping someone who is good at science, physics and carpentry will respond to this one: you can’t be the only cat person who has struggled w/ this particular issue! GOOD LUCK and please keep us posted! Maybe some kind of “diaper leggings?”

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, how are his FRONT legs? perhaps if his claws could cling to something? (Just thinking back to my dad’s bathroom handlebars here but then he had opposable thumbs).

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he able to pee without issue? Regardless, perhaps using a belly band - which is actually meant for holding pee - might at least cover that area and help to prevent his stool from getting on those particular parts? He might try to pee in the litter box while the belly band is on, but the worst outcome of that is changing out the pad in the belly band. It won't stop the cleanup you need to do, but it would help to reduce your concerns about an impending UTI.

I agree that if there are more typical times when he poops, if you routinely take him to the litter box and help hold him up that could reduce the number of times you need to do a lot of cleaning.

__caitlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he able to pee without issue? Regardless, perhaps using a belly band - which is actually meant for holding pee - might at least cover that area and help to prevent his stool from getting on those particular parts? He might try to pee in the litter box while the belly band is on, but the worst outcome of that is changing out the pad in the belly band. It won't stop the cleanup you need to do, but it would help to reduce your concerns about an impending UTI.

I agree that if there are more typical times when he poops, if you routinely take him to the litter box and help hold him up that could reduce the number of times you need to do a lot of cleaning.
He's able to pee just fine, yes! It seems like the weakness in his hind legs is especially triggered when he has to use his abdominal muscles to poop.

This is the first I've heard of the belly band! To be honest, not exactly sure how it works just based on the picture... the urethra and anus are so close together; how does it reliably cover only one without slipping? But I might still try it if I can't think of anything else and this becomes an ongoing problem.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is the first I've heard of the belly band! To be honest, not exactly sure how it works just based on the picture... the urethra and anus are so close together; how does it reliably cover only one without slipping? But I might still try it if I can't think of anything else and this becomes an ongoing problem.
I have not used one as they don't 'work' on female cats. There is another similar item sold as well: Too bad they don't make one that works in 'reverse'.
Cat Diaper Pull-ups Allow for Defecating in Litterbox (barkertime.com)

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What about some sort of bench or platform that he is on while his rear hangs over the litter?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are things going? Have you found some possible solutions to try?

Something else crossed my mind - a 'belly sling' to hold your guy up when he has to poop. They sell such things for small dogs, but I haven't found anything specific for cats. However, you could fashion a DIY fairly simply. I am sure you wouldn't be able to use it 24/7, but perhaps enough times to help out? Just a (probably silly) thought. I am including a pic of one just for illustration purposes to give you an idea of what came to mind.
LABRA Plush Dog Support Sling, Small/Medium - Chewy.com

__caitlin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone 🙏 This actually ended up becoming a non-issue as my boy passed away the other week. 💔 Anyone who wants to see the details, see my post/thread here.

I'll definitely keep these tricks/tools in mind for the future though if this ever happens again!

Status
Not open for further replies.