Cat can’t eat

Cat&doglady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help me someone please ! I’m getting nowhere with the vet & I'm worried I’ll lose my beautiful Heidi. She’s 10 years old & cannot eat even liquidised food. She wants to eat but when she tries she opens her mouth & sways her head from side to side as if she’s trying to dislodge something inside. It only lasts a few seconds but it’s distressing to her & me. The vet couldn’t see anything in her mouth & told me to give her loxicom for pain relief intil they can investigate under anaesthetic. Trouble is that’s 10 days from when I first took her to the vet & she’s still not eating & having medication that’s not meant to be on an empty stomach. I can’t get anything into her by syringe because I think even that is hurting her mouth. Does anyone know what could be wrong with her? I’m worried about her liver & kidneys while I’m waiting for a vet who tells me this isn’t an emergency after 2 visits & no improvement.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she able to drink water? There is no way we can diagnose what might be wrong, and I'm guessing you can't even get an appointment with a different Vet before her next appointment since Vets are in short supply right now.

You are reason to worry about her liver though. She has to get nutrients in or she will have other issues. You may just have to bite the bullet and syringe feed her even though it may be causing her some pain. What makes you think its hurting her? Many cats will fights it, but that doesn't mean it's hurting them. They can just be stubborn. My own big guy will fight me and spit it out like I'm killing him. I end up with more on me than in him, but we just perservere when it needs to be done. Are you aiming the watered down food onto the roof of her mouth. You never want to aim it down their throats. And go very slowly, just a few mls at a time to give them a chance to swallow it. It also helps if it's warmed up a little bit. Here's a thread that shows how to assist feed, look at post #7 for a video: Syringe Feeding Lucky Video/If your Cat is not eating

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She needs veterinary help, if the first vet won't help you then contact others. Also, really stress to the first vet that this is an emergency as she's not able to eat at all. In the meantime if she can lick food off your finger or from a packet you may be able to get something into her that way. It sounds like she needs at least a feeding tube placed til the vets stop dragging their feet and take care of the problem.

You may also have to syringe feed her and kind of force it even though you think/know it's hurting her to keep her well enough to make it to her appointment.

To me if nothing's visible and considering her age and the fact that it happens when she opens her mouth there may be something going on with her jaw joint that's causing her issues so the trick may be to find ways to feed her that doesn't require her to open her mouth much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat&doglady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is she able to drink water? There is no way we can diagnose what might be wrong, and I'm guessing you can't even get an appointment with a different Vet before her next appointment since Vets are in short supply right now.

You are reason to worry about her liver though. She has to get nutrients in or she will have other issues. You may just have to bite the bullet and syringe feed her even though it may be causing her some pain. What makes you think its hurting her? Many cats will fights it, but that doesn't mean it's hurting them. They can just be stubborn. My own big guy will fight me and spit it out like I'm killing him. I end up with more on me than in him, but we just perservere when it needs to be done. Are you aiming the watered down food onto the roof of her mouth. You never want to aim it down their throats. And go very slowly, just a few mls at a time to give them a chance to swallow it. It also helps if it's warmed up a little bit. Here's a thread that shows how to assist feed, look at post #7 for a video: Syringe Feeding Lucky Video/If your Cat is not eating
Thank you so much for your advice and link. She is drinking a little bit. I’ll try to persevere with the syringe. Maybe she’s not in pain with it, I assumed she was because of her reaction! I thought she couldn’t open her mouth very well but I’ve seen her yawn. No I can’t get into another vet sadly. As you say there’s a real shortage at the moment. I really do appreciate your advice. Thanks again

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How's she doing? Are you able to get any food into her?

Cat&doglady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How's she doing? Are you able to get any food into her?
I’ve managed to get a quarter of a tray of food into her in the last couple of days after I liquidised it & watered it down.
she’s currently at the vets under anaesthetic but there’s only a locum & vet who qualified 3 months ago. It just goes from bad to worse 😢

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This Vet IS qualified though, right? Sometimes newly qualified can be a good thing. That means they are up on all the latest and greatest. We often advise taking cats to Veterinary Schools when all else fails because of that reason.

Keep us posted as to what they find.
:vibes: :vibes: :hugs:

Cat&doglady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This Vet IS qualified though, right? Sometimes newly qualified can be a good thing. That means they are up on all the latest and greatest. We often advise taking cats to Veterinary Schools when all else fails because of that reason.

Keep us posted as to what they find.
:vibes: :vibes: :hugs:
Yes the vet is qualified. I never looked at it that way, I guess she will be up with the latest techniques. Turned out Heidi had 4 bad teeth which have now been removed. X-rays showed no tumours & bloods showed no liver or other organ damage miraculously. As soon as she was home she wanted food & ate straightaway which was wonderful to see after all this time and worry & trying to get something down her. She must have been in so much pain before. She’s been checked several times regarding her teeth but finally under anaesthetic they found what they couldn’t see by just looking on her mouth although I’m a little alarmed they missed rotten & loose teeth. Thank you so much for your advice and continued concern. It means a lot and this forum is fantastic

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible those four teeth were what's called resorptions, and those aren't always seen unless xrayed. I have a cat who gets those and unless the Vet actually touches them upon examination and the cat reacts, they aren't noticeable.

Whatever the case, I'm so glad she is home again and EATING:cheerleader:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad you found someone to examine her. I was going to suggest teeth, so I'm happy she's had those bad teeth pulled.

Cat&doglady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible those four teeth were what's called resorptions, and those aren't always seen unless xrayed. I have a cat who gets those and unless the Vet actually touches them upon examination and the cat reacts, they aren't noticeable.

Whatever the case, I'm so glad she is home again and EATING:cheerleader:
Thank you so much. Yes I wondered if it was resorption. She’s not eating this morning but she may be a bit sore until I can get the next dose of loxicom down her. I can’t tell you how much of a help this forum is just to be able to share our worries over our beloved pets. Thank you agai.