Cat Cancer

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My girl who just thirteen had her eye removed due to a tumor. The onocologist said it had clean margins but it was a sarcoma and very rare so we should do chemo. The day before her I removal she had had full X-rays and sonograms and they saw no evidence of it spreading. My vet, who I like and trust very much, did a lot of research and said that there was no evidence chemo would help. She said let her live and enjoy her life and we will watch. She suggested I bring her back in six months.

She is eating well, using the litter box fine, running around, cuddly and her breathing rate is great. My concern is she hacks a couple times a week. She did this before she had the eye removed and a clear sonogram and X-ray too. It typically happens after she hisses at her brother. I guess it could be more but I work from home and so I would typically hear it. The vet said not to worry and watch her. My question is should I push my vet for more X-rays and sonograms sooner or should I stop worrying so much?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Since you mentioned you trust your vet very much and she advised you not to worry but watch her then this is probably good advice. However, it sounds like with your cat's sarcoma diagnosis she may have felt stressed out by her brother. Here are a few Articles that may be helpful regarding stress in cats:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

If the situation does not improve by all means contact your vet. Best of luck with your girl. I hope she continues to do well post-surgery from her eye removal. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!!! Her brothers are kittens so I need all the help I can get. I just made levels for them they lead to a climbing wall. I hope that will give her a place to hide up high. I am also trying to tire the kittens out more. Luckily they never hurt each other. I will read the tips article.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you trust your vet i would take her advice. Sometimes aggressive treatments can do more harm than good, IMO. There are no guarantees, with Chemo, or without. I would be very hesitant to give chemo to my cat, unless there was a clear need for it. If the vet is aware of the hacking i would try not to worry. My 4 all hack occasionally too. Seasonal allergies, hair balls, dusty litter. Many reasons they might hack. A dust free, unscented litter, and a good brushing daily, or as often as you can goes a long way to helping some of this.

I think listen to the vet, love your girl, and try to make her life as happy as possible. Hopefully this will be for many many more years!

Keep us updated on her, and i will keep my fingers crossed for her! :crossfingers:

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I’m going to keep a diary for a week and then share it with my vet. It’s a tough thing because they said an ocular sarcoma, is very rare and they don’t have clear direction. I lost my boy last year to chylothorax which is another really rare disease. I guess someone has to be the outlier.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You poor thing! I am so sorry about your kitty and the kitty with the chylothorax, too (was it idiopathic chylothorax? That’s a frustrating disease.)

Your kitty is 13 and and that age she could have Inflammatory Bowel Disease. If you are worried, you could ask your vet about an ultrasound of her abdomen. But you have to think also of what her life expectancy is with the sarcoma, and does it make sense to put her through a biopsy, which would be the next step? A trusted vet is a treasure in cases like this because she has the experience to advise you.

Sending lots of healing vibes to your kitty. And hugs to you.

darcifinn

Jax & Audie
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi - I just saw this my girl is still doing well I posted the other day about it but I wanted to let you know. She coughs a little but is eating, playing, using her litter box and social. Oh and the chylothorax was idiopathic.