CAT CAMP!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Jackson Galaxy, but this seems weird, no?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I just mean it’s weird for me to pay money to meet cat celebrities and do cat crafts. Maybe I’m the only one who finds that weird.

I do think the advocacy part is really great though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just mean it’s weird for me to pay money to meet cat celebrities and do cat crafts. Maybe I’m the only one who finds that weird.

Well, everyone has his/her own opinion and yours is as valid as anyone's, A Azazel , but I'd guess you're definitely in the minority about that here. I know of most of these cat celebrities and I respect and love each and every one of them for the good they do for cats and people who love cats. They're also very social with people, very intelligent and funny and engaging. I can think of lots of ways to spend time in a worse way. Personally, I would LOVE to go to Cat Camp.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Everyone has the things they like. It's no big deal. I wouldn't do crafts but would probably buy some things and go to the seminars, where others might want to do crafts and skip the seminars. And others would walk in, buy a catnip mouse, and spent the next 2 days hitting the slot machines :lol:
We've gone to swap meets and skipped demonstrations because we were there to buy/sell, and sometimes we weren't there to do anything but wander around (we're good at that.) One year we never actually made it into the building because we had a horse giving us problems.

And I agree; the advocacy is a very good thing.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I don’t mean to judge people who go to it. If that’s what you’re into then by all means do what makes you happy. It was just my first reaction I guess.

I’m also not a very social person so maybe I’m the weird one. :ohwell:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone has the things they like. It's no big deal. I wouldn't do crafts but would probably buy some things and go to the seminars, where others might want to do crafts and skip the seminars. And others would walk in, buy a catnip mouse, and spent the next 2 days hitting the slot machines :lol:
We've gone to swat meets and skipped demonstrations because we were there to buy/sell, and sometimes we weren't there to do anything but wander around (we're good at that.) One year we never actually made it into the building because we had a horse giving us problems.

And I agree; the advocacy is a very good thing.
*Swat meets, 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ?* I can see it now. You, dressed up in a cat costume, doing batting practice with Jackson Galaxy dressed up in a cat costume. Now THAT's entertainment. :crackup:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I don’t mean to judge people who go to it. If that’s what you’re into then by all means do what makes you happy. It was just my first reaction I guess.

I’m also not a very social person so maybe I’m the weird one. :ohwell:
Not weird at all my friend. I enjoy people, but crowds wear me out after awhile and I have to go sit down. I count it as exercise :lol:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, my typing is bad :lol: I never "read before I send".
I wonder if Jackson would be up for that. Hey, might raise some shelter cat money!
(Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd in this corner, wearing the orange stripes, it's 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 ! In the other corner, wearing the black, is JACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKSON GALAXY! Come out with your paws up!) :flail:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just the usual expo/convention/seminar/retreat, he just calls it a camp ;). Lots of people go to those all the time.

I'm not very social either but it does look like fun.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I went to both Cat Camps in NYC. AWESOME. Aside from the celebrity stuff, there were plenty of talks/discussions to join in on, vendor booths galore, and KITTENS GALORE! I mean, really a ton of fun and information.

My favorite discussion was the one that Hannah Shaw's fiance held, Andrew Martello, The Cat Photographer, on photographing cats and kittens. I love taking photos so this was a wonderful hour of helpful tips and tricks.

I will say, however, after 2 years we probably will skip it next year as we pretty much got all we can out of it now and would not travel out all the way to Vegas for it either. But, can see the allure holding it there since Vegas is awesome on it's own :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been to Jackson Galaxy's book tour/signing and he is amazing as a public speaker. Really a great time and totally worth the trip. He is very engaging and active so you never once zone out. I've also gone to CatCon (twice) and cat people really are fun to hang out with in a large group. I am bummed that I didn't hear about Cat Camp before making plans for that weekend (and hotel reservations for those plans) otherwise I would totally go. It sounds a little different then the typical convention, a little more structured in what happens whereas CatCon is more if you want to attend the talks then you will attend the talks, but with those speakers and schedule it should be super informative. Not to mention Vegas itself has a very active TNR community so the local community is super supportive of cat care in general.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a "Vegas person" at ALL, don't gamble, don't enjoy "celebs" or those shows, but the Cat Camp is GREAT! and I hope a lot of TCS members will go and avail themselves of all of the wonders to be found therein!