Cat came back after 3 months..

Shoufek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys! So my cat will spend a few days outside at a time, come back to "check in" for a day or so, then be off again. My cat recently went missing for over 3 months and just came back last night. He is a pretty skinny, but somehow he is softer than he ever has been. I am talking new kitten soft. His fur seems to be in like perfect condition despite being "in the wild" for 3 months. We thought he was gone for good. We have a lot of coyotes and foxes in our area. Do any of you have an explanation as to why his fur would be so soft? We joke that he he has 2 families he splits his time with, but that wouldn't explain why he is so skinny.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray for your kitty coming home!! His fur is soft probably because he was eating lots of protein and wild animals and also not exposed to dry air in your home. Try feeding him an all protein diet (meat only, no grains) and see if it stays that way. I'd also suggest wet food only.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that it's his new diet that is making his fur so soft. Raw food makes their fur oh so wonderfully soft. My Vet can't keep her hands out of our raw eater's fur :lol:.

When stephanietx stephanietx advised to feed a meat only diet, she did not mean to simply toss him a chicken breast though. If you plan to feed him something similar to what he might have been eating, you need to either buy him mice, or balance out any meat with organ meat and bones, or buy 100% nutritionally already prepared meals, which can be frozen raw, refrigerated partially cooked (I think), or dehydrated raw. Or you can go the route of high protein wet food, but it won't give him the exact same soft coat. close, but not the same.

Are you planning on continue to let him roam free? If so, hope those coyotes and foxes aren't too hungry :frown: Have you considered making a Catio for him. It's like a screened-in patio just for cats. Some even surround trees, but they are attached to your house for easy access.