Cat Butt Leaking.

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat is squatting all over the house and acting like he needs to poop but doesn't. Acutally he is leaving smelly liquid all over the floor in spots that smells like poop. What is this and do I need to take him to the vet right away.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry you two are having to deal with this! Is he an indoor cat where you pretty much know what he's been eating and drinking?

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there excessive grooming as well? My guy suddenly started grooming excessively which lead to leaky diarrhea. I'd suggest a Vet visit as soon as you can in any case. I was given an ointment which helped soothe the area after the exam showed nothing wrong :-/ but I was concerned about anal gland issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has solid poop in his litter. He is just sitting next to me on the chair and and 10 minutes it is leaking. Can this be anal glands?

meowmylexi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe? I mean, that's where my mind went, but in the end, I'm not sure what to say :( I'd suggest calling the Vet to describe the issue and then see what they say. I hope this resolves soon!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's likely just anal gland secretions. Sometimes they get full and a cat leaks horribly stinky secretions and / or scoots on the butt to try to relieve the discomfort. It's not an emergency so you are ok to wait a few days to see the vet. You can try to express the glands yourself in the meantime. There are videos and articles online on how to do this. You may need an extra pair of hands to hold the cat. I recommend that you do this in the bathroom with the door closed and have paper towels on hand to clean up any messes.

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is throwing up also. I've been running around cleaning. Trying to go to the vet tomorrow.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! The leaky poo can be a sign of extreme constipation or bowel obstruction.The vet may have to do an x-ray or ultrasound. The vomiting can be a sign of that, too. My daughter's 18yo cat benefited from an all-day hospital stay for a series of enemas (they work best if done in small batches) followed by daily lactulose. Her other vet had put her on miralax and she was passing solid stools but there were still some huge ones impacted in there. Please keep us updated!

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was a piece of poop on the floor and it was extremely dry. He eats plenty of wet food and a ton of water.
He was squatting up on a towel and what seemed to be trying to push and nothing. Then he let out a cry and vomited. He had eaten a little a few minutes prior.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was how my daughter's cat was. You could try giving him Gerber stage 2 baby food, chicken or beef, thinned out with unflavored Pedialyte (generic works as does the homemade recipe at www.kitten-rescue.com), just to ensure electrolytes are balanced. Or make him chicken broth or tuna water with pedialyte added.
Poor guy - I hope he feels better soon!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him to the vet ASAP! It could be anal glands or an obstruction. If he’s throwing up it may be an obstruction. :( usually anal glands doesn’t cause vomiting too.

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is almost 17.
He eats mostly all wet food and has some dry out to nibble on.
I gave him some solid gold cat food which tuna and it was all gone when I came home. I gave him his usually cooked chicken and he threw it up. Anything else after that he threw up. He started pawing at his bedding or a towel left on the floor etc. Squatting etc. Now his butt. Just seems to get worse.
Have an appointment tomorrow. Should I be demanding an x-ray?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask whether they recommend x-ray or ultrasound. And please call them and ask what signs of distress will warrant a trip to the emergency vet - I prefer to use my own vet but sometimes the young vets have fresh eyes and new techniques & theories.

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has an Appointment at 9am tomorrow. It is almost 8pm now.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried responding last night but my internet (through Suddenlink) kept going down; it is scary when that happens because people, such as my disabled friend in a wheelchair who lives alone, has her phone service through the cable & her phone goes out, too (I already have my adult disabled daughter, my 88yo mom & 76yo disabled friend so I cant go skipping off to stay with my other friend).....anyway, I had just wanted to show companionship & solidarity because your TCS family here understands the long, lonely hours of the night vigil, waiting for the vet's office to open. So I hope that your night passed uneventfully. Please let us know how everything is going. It is 7:42 a.m.PST so you will be at the vet's soon if not already.
Prayers and vibes that all is going well.
:vibes::vibes::vibes:

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They got something from the glands and said there was a poop that wasnt coming out. So they gave him some fluids etc. Got him home and he is drooling and sliding his butt all over the carpet staining it. They told me to is some laxitive in the meantime and he has an ultrasound scheduled next Friday at another vet.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Yikes! The things that a cat parent goes through - actually it is good training for us for when our parents get older :rolleyes:
I am glad to know that it is not an emergency *phew*! But I sure hope that the laxative works - poor kitty must be very uncomfortable and you are dealing with the smelly, messy consequences :argh:
I wish that they could have done the ultrasound earlier but maybe they want to see how well the treatment does or does not work. With my daughter's old cat, our main vet did an Xray and it looked okay; it was the ultrasound from the weekend vet that showed a bunch of unpassed stools way up high! Like I said earlier, they kept her in hospital and gave 5 slow enemas and a bath afterward.

jackal2001

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The paperwork states they gave him an enema and his whole hind end was covered. I had to grab him and try to clean him the best I can.
They don't do ultrasound at the vet I went to.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no :( At the vet that did Christy's enema, they sedated her and gave her a bath for me, drying her in a heated kennel that they use for newborn kittens. The smell is horrific - I am so sad that you and your kitty are having to go through this. I use baking soda water on baby kittens with diarrhea - it cuts the grease in the poop, getting them much cleaner than water & is safer than any soap. Plus it knocks down the smell without adding perfumes.