Cat butt cleaning tips?

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone!

I have an 8 y/o kitty Susan (adopted last August) who is overweight and needs help maintaining a clean booty. I have my partner feed her Nulo puree treats on a plate while I clean her butt like I'm detailing a car. However, there's one particular little bit that seems to be totally stuck. I've tried over a number of weekly sessions to get it removed. I use warm water, paper towels, and q tips. Does anyone have any hacks or other ideas to get the stubborn piece? I would really rather not bathe her unless super necessary. She is very squirmy and strong, even when we're giving her treats while trimming nails, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
However, there's one particular little bit that seems to be totally stuck.
This could be the dried up anal gland juice. If it is poo, a warm damp soft towel or soft tissue should clear the dry poop.

Make sure it is poop you are cleaning and not dried up juice from the anal gland. Over time, the so called juice of the anal gland will come off. So don't use much effort or strength to try to remove it or else cause the site to bruise.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This could be the dried up anal gland juice. If it is poo, a warm damp soft towel or soft tissue should clear the dry poop.

Make sure it is poop you are cleaning and not dried up juice from the anal gland. Over time, the so called juice of the anal gland will come off. So don't use much effort or strength to try to remove it or else it's cause bruise.
Thank you!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The anal sac is located at 4 and 8 o'clock position. Each time they poo, muscle contractions cause the anal sac to secrete a small amount of anal fluid. The fluid is a also acts as a territorial marker.

Just clean that area gently, 4 and 8 o'clock position, lets say if its a dried up fluid, you may be able to wipe it off. It's good to check that no debris are stuck there to cause a blockage (plugged) that may lead to bacteria build up as the fluids cannot be emptied properly during poo time. That's why you hear of cats scooting on the floor. Normally you see a slight swell in that area to tell you that the anal sac is impacted.

Last edited:

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The anal sac is located at 4 and 8 o'clock position. Each time they poo, muscle contractions cause the anal sac to secrete a small amount of anal fluid. The fluid is a also acts as a territorial marker.

Just clean that area gently, 4 and 8 o'clock position, lets say if its a dried up fluid, you may be able to wipe it off It's good to check that no debris are stuck there to cause a blockage (plugged) that may lead to bacteria build up as the fluids cannot be emptied properly during poo time. That's why you hear of cats scooting on the floor. Normally you see a slight swell in that area to tell you that the anal sac is impacted.
Thank you for the information! The spot is at 10 o'clock. The rest of her butt gets clean very quickly with some gentle water-soaked q tip strokes, but the stubborn spot seems almost like a mole. I'm pretty sure it's not though, I can't find any pictures to support that but I don't think I remember it always being there.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe it's just a random pigmented skin spot like a freckle there and not dirt :dunno:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for the information! The spot is at 10 o'clock. The rest of her butt gets clean very quickly with some gentle water-soaked q tip strokes, but the stubborn spot seems almost like a mole. I'm pretty sure it's not though, I can't find any pictures to support that but I don't think I remember it always being there.
Maybe it's like what LTS3 LTS3 mentioned. But it's good to always do body checks on your cat daily. If it can't be cleaned off, definitely not a poo stain, so be gentle ok?

Last edited:

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I would never want to make her uncomfortable. 🥺 Thank you all very much!

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just to bring closure to anyone needing it (myself :lol:) -- the stubborn bit came off today (VERY easily/incidentally)! It looked exactly like the other hard dry poo that I clean off.:dunno:

Last edited: