Cat bullying the first cat

cmthoen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am at a loss and I am starting to feel incredibly guilty. I’ve had my cat Pippa since Jan 2020. We lived with roommates and I recently moved into my own home. I got another cat when I moved in, Posey. From the start Posey has not taken kindly to Pippa. That would be one thing, but she actively seeks her out and it will sometimes turn into a cat fight. Pippa tries to get away, she does not want the trouble. Pippa has been growling anytime Posey comes around, I can tell she is on edge constantly. We have little squirt guns on pretty much every surface to get Posey to stop. We are watching a friends cat right now and Posey just snarls and growls at her. Posey got out of the house and was missing for a little more than 2 days. Of course I was panicked and distraught and did everything I could to find her, which I did. But in those 2 days, Pippa was flourishing! She was back to her old self. No growling, around us constantly, using the cat tower that usually Posey only used. Now Posey is back, and i can already see how on edge Pippa is. I love Posey with all my heart, but I know Pippa is suffering with her here. I’m at a loss. Giving up an animal is never something I want to do. I need advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmthoen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have gone down a rabbit hole of these articles. Thank you so much!!! Honestly I was using the squirt bottles because she would literally stalk my other cat and there was no way to redirect her focus. I will be doing a lot more research and find better ways to HELP and not punish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cmthoen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Did you follow any kind of introduction process? If not, you should start over and do so. Here is a good TCS article (see link below) to start over with. Btw, spraying a cat is actually counter-productive. Also an article about that too below.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
5 Reasons To Never Spray Water On Your Cat [Or otherwise punish them] – TheCatSite Articles
I have gone down a rabbit hole of these articles. Thank you so much!!! Honestly I was using the squirt bottles because she would literally stalk my other cat and there was no way to redirect her focus. I will be doing a lot more research and find better ways to HELP and not punish.