Cat bulge on neck

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess I’m just looking for some support today. My girl had a respiratory infection before Christmas and we did an emergency visit with antibiotics-convenia . She hasn’t been 100% yet. I noticed what felt like an enlarged thyroid. I thought I was overreacting. It was both sides. Today it was the right and off to the vet we go. Juliette is 11. He aspirated it and was confused because it seemed like an abscess. Her lymph nodes are slightly swollen. Bloodwork was good.

in two weeks we will X-ray and see if her lymph nodes look differently. Right now it’s antibiotics and stress (me). I checked her cat tree and the rope punctured me and found a nail sticking out. I’ve wrapped it so it won’t hurt her and ordered a replacement.

Guess I just need some moral support. It came over night. He pulled red fluid out. He said if I had another pet he’d swear it was an abscess from a bite. Just hoping for moral support. 2022 was rough with the dog passing and my dad passing. I’m just freaking out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it’s possible. The sisal was also tougher than I’m used to. She had been rubbing her neck on it. I’m replacing the tree and wrapped it until then. I did catch her scratching her neck so I trimmed her back claws. Thanks for the good vibes.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was hoping I could get some direction. The vet is worried because my Juliette is 11 and I took in for what looked like as neck swelling. The aspiration to the neck was red fluid. He would swear she had been bit if I had another pet. She’s on antibiotics for 2 weeks and he’ll re X-ray her chest to see if lymph nodes are still swollen. If it’s abscess then he thinks the swelling will leave. She’s feeling better on the antibiotics and the neck . I think we have some dental issues. If she has swollen lymph nodes when we go back what am I looking at? I’m a wreck.

she has a history of allergies. She got a bad respiratory infection and had convenia right before this. All bloodwork looked good but he’s concerned about the swollen chest lymph nodes. Anyone deal with this? What do I need to question? 2 weeks seems so long. Am I potentially looking at lymphoma?

the new antibiotics are removing what seems like a neck abscess.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be as optimistic as possible and assume that since she's getting over a respiratory infection, the two could be related. Is it just the lymph nodes in her chest, or are they swollen elsewhere? If she goes back in two weeks, I'd keep a journal of notes (eating, drinking, does her swallowing seem painful, energy level, etc.) as well as photos of the swelling every few days so it'll be easier to compare what progress she has made in 2 weeks. If at any time you feel very concerned over something, reach out to your vet.
IIRC lymph nodes will sometimes swell without cancer being present if there's active infection. Once the infection is knocked out completely, the lymph nodes will go down to normal. (I had a lot of fever and infections as a young kid, and I remember the feeling of my lymph nodes in my neck being swollen, and that's been 35 years ago!)

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She’s doing better than in 6 months. She’s feeling better, lump from weird abscess almost gone. Respiratory cleared out. She’s acting better. I think she’s got a tooth that’s bothering her. She’s chewing a bit differently. He broke off some plaque with his thumb but I’m thinking a dental issue.

thank you! I think I had an anxiety spiral. Dads birthday was the 2nd and I fell apart then we had the 2nd vet visit because I noticed neck swelling he didn’t like. But when he aspirated it he said he’d swear a bite if I had another pet. She’s on a different medication. Not convenia and it’s helping her more. Thank you again. She’s my emotional support girl.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She’s doing better than in 6 months. She’s feeling better, lump from weird abscess almost gone. Respiratory cleared out. She’s acting better. I think she’s got a tooth that’s bothering her. She’s chewing a bit differently. He broke off some plaque with his thumb but I’m thinking a dental issue.

thank you! I think I had an anxiety spiral. Dads birthday was the 2nd and I fell apart then we had the 2nd vet visit because I noticed neck swelling he didn’t like. But when he aspirated it he said he’d swear a bite if I had another pet. She’s on a different medication. Not convenia and it’s helping her more. Thank you again. She’s my emotional support girl.
I hope today was a good day for you both, and she is continuing to improve. :hugs: :petcat: