Cat Brings Me Toy Mouse

• Thread starter Deleted member 10013100
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 10013100

My cat (2 year old, female) has started bringing me her mouse toy (hyper realistic and it squeaks when touched).

She carries it in her mouth to me, drops it at the base of my feet, then lets out a small meow.

I initially assumed she wanted to play so I started playing but she wanted nothing to do with it. I tried a variety of toys! Is it possible she thinks this is a real mouse and is bringing it to me as a gift?

I read online female cats do this to feed their young.

Thanks!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think she probably realizes that it’s not a real mouse (from the scent), but that doesn’t stop her from wanting to offer it to you as a “gift”. I’ve heard of cats doing this before, it means they’re friendly and social, which is a great thing!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried throwing the mouse when she brings it to you? She might retrieve it and then you could play fetch with her! Some cats can learn fetch quite easily, it really depends on the individual cat’s personality. I’m thinking, though, that since your cat is already bringing this toy to you, that she might enjoy fetch.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that in relation to the young that they do it to show their kittens how to hunt, but i've never witnessed this irl.

Violet will drag the entire feather wand through the house while meowing loudly, drop it, then meow until I come to her, thank her and give her a scratch on the head. All I know is one of the reasons is exactly what you said, she is bringing a gift. Showing her kill and wants recognition that she did a good thing.

Can I add as a side note, seeing a 3.5kg ball of floof walking in the house dragging feathers on a a long string attached to a stick longer than her body (and it's all dragging underneath her so she sort of walks with her legs out a little) through the house is one of the most entertaining things ever :D. Need to video this one day.

Your kitty is totally normal!

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It happened the same with our kitten - we realised at some point he kept bringing us his mouse, leaving it just there and looking at us. So we started throwing it each time - well, we realised he's a retriever. It's one of his favourite activities, we throw it to the other side of the living room and he'll run like crazy, then he brings it back to us each time. It's excellent exercise for him - you should see if yours is a retriever too!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our previous cat did this, and I think it was definitely a gift. She did play fetch with me when she was a tiny kitten, but the mouse toy that she chose to bring to us was one we got her later in life. She was not a frequent talker, but when she dropped the mouse in front of us, she always announced it with a very particular meow, too, and clearly expected to be thanked profusely for her present.