Cat Breeder Red Flag?

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like maybe a new breeder? The majority of breeders I know either spay/neuter before the cat leaves or have a clause in the contract. More and more are doing the spay/neuter before the kitten leaves (even Persians) because of being lied to much to often. A friend of mine just got a girl back that was sold as a pet, with a spay agreement that w. The cat ended up with a BYB. When she got her back, the cat was in TERRIBLE shape. If the early spay/neuter is not done, then there should be a clause in the contract. Just as a point of information, I know the buyers tend to research the breeder, but did you know that some breeders google you when you buy from them?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Indeed; you'll find countless articles, scholarly papers, and at least one full book on anesthetizing brachycephalic cats and dogs.
I completely agree and cannot stress this point enough. I learned about the procedure/complications and researched it with our first Persian. i trusted our vet implicitly but we discussed the anesthesia procedure beforehand. I was insistent that it be performed a specific way. Here's a helpful link, and note the paragraph, Choose the Proper Anesthetic Agents:
VetFolio

Just out of curiosity, does the breeder have a health guarantee in the contract? Persians can also be prone to other health and/or genetic conditions. If you are truly in love with the kitten I am not suggesting you void the contract but definitely take the advice recommended by the above members. If you don't mind my asking, did you talk with and visit more than one breeder? Best of luck, please feel free to ask any more questions or concerns you may have here. :)

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely agree and cannot stress this point enough. I learned about the procedure/complications and researched it with our first Persian. i trusted our vet implicitly but we discussed the anesthesia procedure beforehand. I was insistent that it be performed a specific way. Here's a helpful link, and note the paragraph, Choose the Proper Anesthetic Agents:

VetFolio
neely neely - Thank you; this is an excellent article, and one passage bears repeating often in this particular case:

"Before any medications are given, a baseline oxygen saturation (Spo2) reading on room air should be obtained by pulse oximetry. This reading will also help set a baseline parameter should a question arise as to the oxygenation status of the patient during the recovery period. Some brachycephalic breeds do not have an Spo2 of 95% or higher on room air, and this is considered normal for them. An oxygen saturation of 93% to 95% is not at all uncommon on room air. Nonbrachycephalic breeds normally have an oxygen saturation of 95% and above."

It's impossible to stress how important it is to know the pulse ox baseline - and the smaller and younger the kitten, the more important it becomes - especially in brachycephalic breeds. Oxygen deprivation is a serious concern here, and is far more controllable in a six month old Persian kitten than it is in a twelve week old kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elexcia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like maybe a new breeder? The majority of breeders I know either spay/neuter before the cat leaves or have a clause in the contract. More and more are doing the spay/neuter before the kitten leaves (even Persians) because of being lied to much to often. A friend of mine just got a girl back that was sold as a pet, with a spay agreement that w. The cat ended up with a BYB. When she got her back, the cat was in TERRIBLE shape. If the early spay/neuter is not done, then there should be a clause in the contract. Just as a point of information, I know the buyers tend to research the breeder, but did you know that some breeders google you when you buy from them?
Yes, I spoke to and visited a couple breeders before hand. I did not know they google buyers but it makes sense. Also, what the heck, Posiepurrs, I snuck a peek at your website and your cats are freaking beautiful! Oh my goodness, they're gorgeous!

Elexcia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
neely neely -
"Before any medications are given, a baseline oxygen saturation (Spo2) reading on room air should be obtained by pulse oximetry. This reading will also help set a baseline parameter should a question arise as to the oxygenation status of the patient during the recovery period. Some brachycephalic breeds do not have an Spo2 of 95% or higher on room air, and this is considered normal for them. An oxygen saturation of 93% to 95% is not at all uncommon on room air. Nonbrachycephalic breeds normally have an oxygen saturation of 95% and above."
I will definitely read this article and reference it with my vet!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I spoke to and visited a couple breeders before hand. I did not know they google buyers but it makes sense. Also, what the heck, Posiepurrs, I snuck a peek at your website and your cats are freaking beautiful! Oh my goodness, they're gorgeous!
E Elexcia - Aren't they? "Gorgeous," really isn't apt. In person, Camie's eyes absolutely glow green - like some rare gemstone, halfway between Emerald and Chrome Tourmaline, lit from behind. She has one of the most captivating faces I've ever seen, and Jack is... well... Jack is Jack. PandEcats - the Persian Fanciers Magazine - featured Jack last Autumn:

GP, RW Posiepurrs Jacaranda

In addition to being the Region's highest scoring Golden Premier for the 2014 Season, Jack has also been the highest scoring CFA Premier for the past two consecutive years (that's not for the Region - that's globally). Look up Jack's Sire some time (Grand Champion Rdreams Golden Bamboo [of PosiePurrs]) - just gorgeous, and almost perfect against the Breed Standard. Jack's about the same - he just doesn't need the word, "almost," in his description.

Edit: just for fun, watch Jack here at his very first show. When the Judge does finally go to him, Jack just sort of looks up at him and says, "just put the Best All Breed ribbon right here; I'm starting a collection."

Last edited:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
E Elexcia - Aren't they? "Gorgeous," really isn't apt. In person, Camie's eyes absolutely glow green - like some rare gemstone, halfway between Emerald and Chrome Tourmaline, lit from behind. She has one of the most captivating faces I've ever seen, and Jack is... well... Jack is Jack. PandEcats - the Persian Fanciers Magazine - featured Jack last Autumn:

In addition to being the Region's highest scoring Golden Premier for the 2014 Season, Jack has also been the highest scoring CFA Premier for the past two consecutive years (that's not for the Region - that's globally). Look up Jack's Sire some time (Grand Champion Rdreams Golden Bamboo [of PosiePurrs]) - just gorgeous, and almost perfect against the Breed Standard. Jack's about the same - he just doesn't need the word, "almost," in his description.

Edit: just for fun, watch Jack here at his very first show. When the Judge does finally go to him, Jack just sort of looks up at him and says, "just put the Best All Breed ribbon right here; I'm starting a collection."

That is what I sound like whenbI talk about Pattrick Rothfuss xD
Jack is amazing, and it is obvious the amazing work that has been done both in selection for breeding him and in the process of socializing him. The red cat, on the other hand, looked so scared that the judge seemed to be afraid to aproach his cage!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you both! If I was still breeding, 1CatOverThe Line, I think I would need to hire you as a public relations person! Just to correct one statement though, Jack WAS the highest scoring CFA SIlver and Golden premier for 2012 -2014 but at the end of the 2015-2016 show season he retired.

Elexcia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Beautiful!