Cat breaths fast sometimes, will he be okay during his tooth extractions tomorrow?

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old FIV+ cat Lee-Lee is getting all his teeth pulled tomorrow due to inflammation from stomatis. He breathes fast sometimes, mainly when awake or first falling asleep. When he is comfortably asleep, his breathing is normal. Will be okay during the extraction process? He has very red looking gums, and still has an appetite, but I can tell his mouth hurts him. He doesn't like to be touched there sometimes, get ulcers and eats his food in small quantities, example being, one grain of kibble at a time. Has anyone else here ever put a cat with any awkward breathing patterns under anesthesia? Or had a toothless cat? His energy levels are still fine too, and he drinks well, but his gums and teeth look very red and sore.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they check his lungs and heart? If not, I would call and speak to them and first get his lungs and heart checked. That's normal procedure before every operation in Turkey anyway.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They should check his heart and lungs, plus do basic blood work, before surgery. That would tell them if he's having an issue that might affect anesthesia. Be sure to mention the breathing when you take him in, though, just to make certain they are aware.

Following surgery, there will, of course, be a recovery period while his gums heal. Once that is over (takes different times for different cats), he'll feel MUCH better. Most toothless cats can eat anything that they want to eat, with the exception of live-caught small prey, and most even have no trouble with kibbles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet had to stop the extraction early due to an arrhythmia. There are still four more teeth that needed to pull. The cause of the arrhythmia is unknown.