Cat Breathing

catlegen3040

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I’ve noticed recently my cat sometimes breathes fast with her stomach. Is this normal or should I take her to the vet? She also makes a noise when sleeping almost like a snore.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not normal. You should have a vet look at her. Also, when she is relaxed count her breathing for 15 seconds and multiply by 4 so you can let the vet know her respiration rate when she is at home, as it will change at the hospital due to fear.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat was being fairly active just prior to the fast-breathing incident it may not be overly concerning, especially if s/he is older or overweight. But a vet checkup probably is in order anyway. At a minimum, take a video of the breathing to share with your vet to see what they think. And, let them know how long you think this has been going on. The video would also allow the vet to assess just how many breaths per minute during a fast-breathing episode.

Counting your cat's breaths per minute while asleep or at complete rest is a good idea, as suggested above. While it can vary among cats, the normal is typically in the low to mid 20s. To further explain how to do it, count each rise and fall of the chest/belly area as one breath, check the number at 15 seconds, then again at 30 seconds. Multiply by 4 and 2 respectively - this 'double-check' will give a more accurate reading overall.

My cat (17+yo) does this at times, but nothing was identified after multiple tests to ascertain why. However, her sleeping rate is in the normal range (as noted above). I just monitor it to ensure no negative changes are occurring - I actually chart it on a spreadsheet.

Last edited: