Cat breathing through mouth

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my two cats got a URI after visiting the vet for a teeth cleaning. He was really sick for about 6 days and is finally feeling better with just some residual sneezes.

He got my other kitty sick. This little guy has been sneezing quite a bit. He does have some clear, watery eyes (no discolored discharge) and perhaps a bit of a runny nose cause he has been licking his nose a bit. But hes also breathing through his mouth when awake. (He seems to be breathing through his nose while sleeping.) No wheezing sounds or anything.

Appetite is fine, but lethargic. I used some zarbees nasal drops on him and have a humidifier going.

Has anyone else had their cat breath through their mouth while sick with a URI?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a trip to the vet at that stage. In the meantime, try steaming him in the bathroom several times a day to break up any congestion that might be preventing him from breathing through his nose. If you have any plain baby saline drops, you can try one drop in each nostril a couple of times a day as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update

My cat is no longer breathing through his mouth. Yay! I guess the nasal drops and humidifier helped a lot. He is still sick, but is recovering on his own. I think we are past the worst of it!