Cat breathing rate

Blahblahblah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 year old cat was diagnosed and hospitalized overnight on Wednesday with asthma. She was sent home with prednisolone, flovent, and albuterol that we need to use two times a day each. I'm still noticing that she seems to be breathing fast, resting is in the low 40's. How long does it take to see improvement after an acute attck? She is overweight so does that make her breathe faster?

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
While I'm not sure how long it could take to see an improvement, I can say that absolutely yes her being overweight has an effect on her breathing.
The larger you are, the more oxygen your body requires, but the added weight also pushes on your lungs, causing you to take in less oxygen with each breath. On top of that, being overweight can cause a whole bunch of other conditions.
While you're giving her the vet recommended treatment, I'd suggest working on helping her to shed a few pounds at the same time.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope your cat is doing better?! I had similar situations with two of my cats. Just keep an eye on her and try to keep her as stress free as possible. If she starts to pant and/or her tongue/gums have a bluish tint then get her to the vet or animal hospital asap.