Cat Breathes Rapidly When Trying to Sleep

Kittywhy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Luka is about 1.5 years old. I've noticed that whenever he lays down next to me to sleep, he breathes abnormally fast. It's not strained or laboured, just really shallow and quick. It slows down a lot after he falls asleep, but it's still considerably faster than my other cats. His breathing is completely fine when he's awake, and he plays and eats like no other, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. He's a large long-haired cat and we live in Southern Florida, so could it be possible he's just uncomfortable since it's hot? I told my mom about it and she brushed it off. Please let me know your thoughts. This is a video of it:

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Luka is about 1.5 years old. I've noticed that whenever he lays down next to me to sleep, he breathes abnormally fast. It's not strained or laboured, just really shallow and quick. It slows down a lot after he falls asleep, but it's still considerably faster than my other cats. His breathing is completely fine when he's awake, and he plays and eats like no other, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned or not. He's a large long-haired cat and we live in Southern Florida, so could it be possible he's just uncomfortable since it's hot? I told my mom about it and she brushed it off. Please let me know your thoughts. This is a video of it:
While I'm not a vet, increased breath rate can be due to something as simple as being too hot, to more serious things like stress, anxiety, or even heart disease. There's also the possibility that, since you mentioned he was a big cat, his size or weight could press differently on his lungs when he lays down.
It's best to follow up with a vet just to be on the safe side.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreed. See if your Vet will accept that that video and then they can make a determination if they should see him or not.