Cat Box Behavior

RosemaryM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last July I was given a 9 week old male kitten that was raised outside. I brought him home and successfully trained him to use the litter box with no accidents ever. I have the litter box in my bath tub that never gets used. He is a very good cat, but after he does use the literbox, he is really obsessive about covering his waste. He does this for 4 -5 minutes scratching at the box and the sides of the tub. He is 10 months old now, is there something I can do to stop this behavior?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You could place the litterbox somewhere else other than the bath tub to see if that would stop some of the scratching. The other thing is to make sure the litter is cleaned out frequently, the more that is in the box the more scratching he will do to try to cover everything up, especially if he has to pee and poop on existing "debris" in the box. Perhaps, a bigger box might help as well.

It is also possible that he will just be "one of those cats" who like to scratch in and around the area of the box - they do (unfortunately for you) exist.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Some cats are just "scratchers", and even don't always accomplish their goal of covering their waste. My Ruby girl is like that sometimes, and she'll scratch at the top of the litter box, which doesn't do anything.

Is there room in the bathroom to move the litter box out of the tub and onto the floor? If so, maybe that might solve the problem.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like others have said moving the box might help. But some cat's love to dig my boy builds pyramids I leave him to it. He's happy we laugh and tell him that's a good pyramid.