Cat bottom red

Catmom6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our girl cat has a red bum, she isnt dragging her herself on the floor but doing alot of scratching. When I searched it on the internet anal sacs came up. But she dosent have any smelly discharge or anything. I also found out that worms cause them to drag their themselves, but I haven't seen any worms by her tail. She does have diaharra often, the site I was on recommended metamucil to add fiber to her diet, which could help with diarrhea and if she has anal sac problems. Looking for advice

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has diarrhea you really need to give the vet a call. If her bottom is red then she has enough irritation that you need to get it under control. Raw butt is very uncomfortable and the diarrhea could be caused by any number of things. She may have worms and a fecal check would determine that and what kind. You won’t always be able to see them. You may just be able to drop off a decal sample but you will have to ask the vet. Expressing the anal glands can be done during a vet check if needed but with a raw and irritated butt, I would let the vet do that. She could have other parasites besides worms too. I’m so sorry she is having tummy and bottom trouble. Itching too? Have you seen any fleas? Even one flea bite can cause worms. Please do keep us updated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. In addition to the good suggestions from Jcatbird Jcatbird , could this be food related? When did it start, and was coincident with any food changes you might have made? If she has diarrhea off an on, it could correlate to the food she is eating at that particular time.

Feeby has some build up in her anal glands, but really didn't have a smell with it. However, she also wasn't scratching at her behind. How about a urinary issue? That can cause irritation throughout the entire area 'back there'.

How old is she? How is she eating/drinking/peeing? Is she an indoor/outdoor cat? Any other information you can give us that might give members some clues?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is going to have to see a vet for all the reasons listed above. However, until you can get her there, a tiny dab of olive oil on her fanny 3 times a day with soothe the irritation until you can get her there.