Cat Boarding During Home Renovations - Petsmart Hotel

kk_yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just been informed by my landlord that in a couple of weeks, me and my cat will need be out of my apartment for four days as my landlord gets a new floor put in (it's something I've known was happening for awhile, but the dates weren't set). It's definitely not an ideal situation as I don't like having to take my cat out of his home, especially since we recently moved to this apartment and he had to have an adjustment period to get used to the change. Additionally, my parents are dealing with some health issues so I am flying out to see them while the floors are put in.

So it seems to me that I will have to board my cat. I boarded him once before when I was visiting my parents, about 5 months after I got him. He did fine then, but the fancy, expensive cat-only boarding place he went to last time is already full given the late notice. There is a Petsmart Hotel near me with good reviews, but I can not find a lot about what the hotel is like for cats, only dogs. Are Petsmart Hotel's generally good with cats? The only other boarding places that take cats that I can find are multiple hours away from me. Are there alternatives to boarding that I haven't thought of? A petsitter would be ideal, but since the apartment will be torn up and there will be construction noises, that isn't an option. I could try to take him with me, but I have never travelled with him before and that doesn't seem like the best option.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the choices are flying out with you versus PetSmart, then PetSmart is probably the better choice. If there isn’t a lot of information online (photos, services, etc) most boarding facilities will allow a quick tour if you call ahead. In my experience with boarding cats, unless it’s a kitten, most cats are kind of ignored besides cleaning the litter box and feeding/watering and most cats are pretty ok with that arrangement due to stress. If your guy is social then maybe talk to them about how much daily interaction he’ll get.

angeladw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does your Vet offer boarding? Luckily mine does so I’m comfortable leaving them. If you do leave him with Petsmart do you have a friend that can visit while you’re away to check on him? That msy give you some extra piece of mind. Even when boarding with my vet I have a family member stop by and check on them.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I found a Youtube video of a Petsmart Hotel in the Houston area:

Hotels may vary across the US, though.

See if you can get a tour of the hotel to help you make a decision whether it's a good place or not for your cat. Does the place look clean and well maintained? Will they feed the food you provide? Does your cat get playtime outside of the cage? How are emergency veterinary medical situations taken care of? Etc.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does your vet offer boarding? I tend to board with my vet because they know my cats medical history and I trust them to make medical decisions should my cats seem in distress.