Cat boarding advice

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to go away for a few days (about 4 or 5) and I am getting conflicting opinions from family members about the best thing for Sasha, my two and a half year old cat! Should I put her in a boarding place where she will be taken care of, or should I let her stay at home and try and find someone to come in and give her food (not easy as I don't want a stranger in my house!). She has only been with me for six months and came from the shelter after being abandoned, so I don't want her to feel that I have left her! But I do want what is best for her comfort level, so anyone who has experience with this, PLEASE let me know your suggestions. Many thanks.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leave her home and hire a reliable reputable pet sitter. Sitter should be bonded and insured. Sitter should have references you can actually check. Sitter should provide a consultation visit, most offer this free of charge.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No question, have someone come by your place.

Cats have a strong sense of territory, and whenever they are scratching or rubbing their paws or sides of noses up against things, they are marking that territory with their scent. Take that and familiar surroundings away, and most feel insecure and stressed. Plus, just like with shelters the boarding places have a LOT of cats coming in and out, and a few may bring a cold or worse with them and pass it on.

I would recommend paying someone to come by just once a day for a quick checkup, play session, litterbox maintenance, and to feed some wet food. For water and food, I'd recommend an automatic water fountain and automatic feeder. There are many options, but what works for me are:
1) Drinkwell Platinum: http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-D2VV...9862720&sr=8-1
(reservoir holds easily enough for a week for my two cats)

2) Petmate Le Bistro Automatic feeder: http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-LeBist...9862754&sr=1-5
(can be set to dispense at minimum 1/4 cup of kibble up to three times a day, and cats feel secure with precise reliable feeding times and knowing their food source is there)

I just got back from a whole week away, and with just hourly visits everyday my cats were relaxed and content. That makes it VERY simple if you just want to use a relative, bud, neighbor, or baby sitter in the neighborhood from a family you know instead and just leave a couple phone #s to call you if there's any questions whatsoever.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When my parents would go away they would leave their cats at home and between my sister and I, someone would go over every day to make sure that food bowls were filled and water was available. With my parents insurance, someone has to come by and check the house every few days anyways, so having the pets there also made sure that the people that were coming when they were supposed to. Kind of funny, because my sister lives in the same city as them and would only go over once, maybe twice a week, I live 45 minutes away and work full time and managed to go over whenever she wouldn't.

With us here, if we go away, our building manager will come over and feed Leiki. She has a cat of her own and loves us, she also lives right beside us, so she doesn't mind. I also have a couple of friends here that are more than willing to come over once a day to feed her and play with her for a little bit. We always give the people that look after her a bit of money to compensate for their time and gas getting over here.

If you can't find anyone of your friends that will do it, or don't trust anyone to do it, then look into a pet sitting service. Most will come to you home a couple of times a day to feed and water your cat and play for a bit. The rates will depend on what you want, how often you want them to come and your area. Make sure that they are bonded and insured though, in my area lots of younger people (12-14 yr olds) offer this service but unless I knew them personally, I wouldn't trust them coming into my home when I'm not there.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, a reputable pro pet sitter is the way to go. Get a referral from people you know or vet. Your cat will be much happier. It shouldn't cost much different than boarding. I only have them come once a day. My service does charge for the orientation visit when they meet the cats, find out what to do, take down info on cat, how to reach you, where vaccinations records are kept, what emergency vet you use, etc. My service leaves daily written reports and you can contact the "pet pal" by phone or email while you're gone. They will also take in mail, open and close curtains, water plants, give cats meds, etc. All for $16 a visit - for 5 cats. I tip the care giver well.

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

For water and food, I'd recommend an automatic water fountain and automatic feeder. There are many options, but what works for me are:
1) Drinkwell Platinum: http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-D2VV...9862720&sr=8-1
(reservoir holds easily enough for a week for my two cats)

2) Petmate Le Bistro Automatic feeder: http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-LeBist...9862754&sr=1-5
(can be set to dispense at minimum 1/4 cup of kibble up to three times a day, and cats feel secure with precise reliable feeding times and knowing their food source is there)

I love this idea of the drinking fountain!! Will be picking one up.

I too recommend you have a in-house sitter for your cats. I am lucky in that I have a friend who owns a natural pet food store near me and also has a pet sitting business. I trust her completely and whoever she sends for the visits. It is always the same person for the whole duration I am gone. I have them come twice a day and they are 30 minute visits.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've boarded
Lynxx
before. 1 was a boarding place for cats and dogs. My grandparents boarded their cat there, that's why we went with them. But it was very stressful for him, and he came home with fleas. After that we only boarded him with the vet. He wasn't happy there either, but he didn't come home as stressed. At least at the vet he knew the place and the people, and he didn't come home with fleas.

gibsgirl94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had to board our kitty's a few years ago. We probably wouldn't do it again. It was extremely stressful for them. Mitsy is diabetic so we really didn't have any choice in the matter. She needed to get her insulin. Unfortunately she doesn't like anyone except for myself and my husband.
If for some reason we would need to go out of town for an extended period we will board them at our vet clinic. If I could have it my way I would definitely choose a pet sitter so the cats can stay comfortable in their own environment.

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm dealing with this myself. I'm scheduled to go camping two weekends in April as well as be go on vacation for 5 days in Sept. my dad has been taking care of my cats but he's led me to understand that he can't do it as often as I'd like. (He did it a lot for me last year). In any case I've tried boarding at the local them at the local animal hospital (Ricky has medical issues) but my older cat got way too stressed out and was literally attacking the staff (he doesn't like anyone but me and the other kitty Rasta). He does better if I have some feed him at home. Finding a reputable sitter though is the issue I don't like someone I don't know coming into my house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibbell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many thanks everyone. I am going to arrange for someone that I know to come in while I am gone. Don't want to upset Sasha if I don't have to!

subconsciousme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We board only if we are going to be gone a LONG time (1+ week). This has only happened twice and both times has been incredibly stressful on one of my kids. So, if possible, we will not be doing it again.

If you are ever in a need to board--be sure to find a place where the kitties and dogs do not interact or hear each other at all. And you must go see the place where your kitty is staying.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm an intensely private person and hate having people in my space. That said, I make an exception for my cats. I wouldn't board them unless it was an emergency. They get stressed going to the vet, and I get stressed when I think they are upset. Having someone come in allows them to stay home where they feel safe and comfortable.

There's a nice cat boarding facility near me where you can rent a small room for your cats for $55 a night. I keep them in my contacts just in case.