Cat Bleeding From Rectum

sblock60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New cat owner here (previous dog fanatic who has now been converted to cats). I was wondering if anyone has advice...My cat has been bleeding from her butt every time she poops. It is bright red blood that surrounds her anus and if she sits will get on whatever she sits on. When I look at her poop I do not see any blood in it. She never seems phased by it (except for one time a week ago she did make a little cry when she was pooping).

This prompted be to take her to a fourth vet for an opinion (I've never been so thankful that I got pet insurance). However, none of the vets can find the source of the problem. She has also had three fecal tests all which were negative. One of the vets did a partial (I'm not sure what the correct term is) rectal exam and said he didn't see anything that would be causing it.

I have tried changing her diet to Purina Pro Plan two weeks ago. The last vet just suggested trying ID (I'm not sure how many times you can change a cats diet in a month). Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! She's only a year old but this has been going on for three months and I'm not sure what to do since none of the vets seem to know what is causing it. This new cat mom thanks you all so so much!

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is strange, especially since her stool is clear of blood and parasites. The only thing I can think of is if the stool is too big for the anus and causes it to bleed when she is going to the bathroom. Does she seem constipated? Maybe ask the vet if they can do X-rays to see if there is a blockage or something wrong with the colon.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome new cat mom! :hithere: I'm sorry you have been to several vets with not much success in diagnosing your cat's problem. As lacy2000 lacy2000 said, I also felt it could be caused by constipation and you may want to refer to this Article: Everything You Need To Know About Constipation In Cats
I also thought this Article about IBD might be helpful, I'm not saying she has this health issue but the information is worth reading:Inflammatory Bowel Disease In Cats

Best of luck, I hope you can find what's causing this problem for your kitty. Please let us know how she is doing. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sblock60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both so much! She doesn't seem constipated and goes to the bathroom very regularly. I'm definitely going to suggest the x-ray at her next vet appointment. I really appreciate all the help! :)

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat has had something similar. She has had blood around her anus and it was quite irritated after she pooped. The vet took a biopsy and it was inflamed. Thankfully not cancer. The vet wants to put her on steroids to reduce the inflammation but she has another condition which could be exacerbated but the steroids so I am not sure what I will do. I just started to give her some pumpkin in her food to see if that will help. Good luck!