Cat Blackheads That Won't Go Away

tandl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old male cat has a nasty case of blackheads. He's had them off and on for months -- usually if I kept up with washing his chin several times a week with a mild cleanser and swiped them with a Stridex pad once or twice a week, they'd be under control. But recently they have gotten worse, and spread up into his cheeks, right by his whiskers. I'm not talking about a sprinkling of black spots, I'm talking his chin and those spots by his cheeks are black.

I took him to the vet last week, because along with the chin/cheek acne getting worse, he started to have a watery funky eye. She prescribed Terramycin for the eye, and an anti-fungal/anti-bacterial wipe for the blackheads; both to be given 3X/day. I have only managed to give it 2x/day effectively because it takes two of us to administer both meds, and my husband works very long hours. In the middle of the day I do try to at least give a quick swipe of his chin/cheek area with a pad before he struggles away.

The blackheads almost seem to be getting WORSE with these wipes. When we wipe we get a number of small black dots coming away, but also some larger flakes that I wonder if they are blackheads or small bits of dried blood. His chin doesn't look red/oozing but it's also so covered by black that it's hard to get a good look. I know that cat acne can turn into whiteheads and can in turn burst and ooze and turn into open infected sores, and I don't see that yet, but of course we don't want it to get to that point. The vet did shave a bit of his chin and his cheeks to better apply the wipes, and one of his cheeks is pretty red/inflammed. Hard to tell again, though, whether it's moving to the pustule phase or if it's inflammed/irritated bc they shaved it and he's a heavy cheek rubber anyhow.

I was wondering if this forum had any advice/expertise beyond what I've tried so far. I will of course call the vet again today (it's been 6 days, so I feel like we've given the meds enough time to work)but would love to hear any advice/ideas beyond what I've already done.

Vet mentioned possibly trying oral antibiotic if pads don't work, maybe it is result of an allergy, etc. Nothing new with food changes, etc. Has always eaten out of stainless steel bowls that are washed after every meal.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try glass or ceramic dishes, just to see, or even disposable paper or chinette plates.

Also, these may help; from mamanyt1953;
You can try washing it with Witch Hazel. That works well on acne in cats. I'd clean it with the Witch Hazel, then follow with the chamomile for itch/burn relief.

The nice thing about chamomile tea is that is it antibacterial, anti fungal, and amazingly soothing for ALL skin irritations. Buy the tea bags from your grocer's coffee/tea aisle, and make sure it is ONLY chamomile, no blends (that will be right on the main label). I recommend the commercial bags because they are ALWAYS made with German Chamomile, and the English variety that is common in gardens is toxic to cats. Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and apply it with a clean cotton ball or similar.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, bless you! Feline acne is the lesser-talked-about evil of the cat world. Evie's acne was so bad that her lymph nodes swelled up and she wound up with abscesses that would burst. She needed antibiotics.

I second Furballsmom Furballsmom to try witch hazel and chamomile tea. You could also try to wash his chin with warm water and original blue Dawn. Use a soft bristled toothbrush to really scrub it in and rinse thoroughly. Ask if your vet can prescribe a topical ointment as well since the wipes are a no-go.

Best of luck!

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since I started reading back from thread 3000 or so cat acne seems to be one of the most talked about, probably comes closely behind uti, uri, and the king diarrhea. Long live the king!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tandl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! I have tried witch hazel before, albeit briefly, so I started that again today and will also pick up some chamomile tea.

I have also called vet again this am and am hopeful that she can prescribe something else without me having to bring him in again! And hope the poor guy can get some relief soon. He definitely does NOT like me messing with his chin and cheeks. He's started disappearing when my husband gets home, because he knows that means we are going to grab him to give meds.

bitkit

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not speaking with much experience, my cases of acne never got as bad as yours but my cats don't mind it much if I clean their chins, they sometimes like it. I am gentle and try to use a slightly harsher cleaner followed by a more gentle soothing cleaner, I think that may be the way to go as it doesn't aggrevate the issue. Currently I'm using diluted hydrogen peroxide followed by vetericyn twice a day and it's working, today I only saw a few black specks. Chlorihexidine for cats followed by vetericyn might help as well but I haven't tried it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try combing out the specks with a very fine toothed comb and then applying witch hazel or whatever treatment you are using. Comb the fur the wrong way to get the specks to come off.