Cat bites only in one corner.

Beanz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has this behaviour that is driving me nuts. My bed is next to an outlet where I use my phone charger over night to charge my phone. Sometimes my cat will go near this and proceed to rub his face and neck to mark or claim the phone charger plug. When he does this I turn off the switch and unplug the charger but if I do this or even move near the charger and most recently not moved at all and just happened to have my arm hanging out towards the outlet in my sleep he bites me on the wrist or arm and it's a clamp down painful bite! It is almost as if he is protecting the charger from me? He is never aggressive but to get him to stop I have to lift him away or threaten a cushion to be thrown at him. He maybe does this 50%of the time so it's not every night. Washing the area and using lemons hasn't helped.
Anyone have an idea on why he does this and how I can please get him to stop?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm.... that's a puzzling one. :headscratch: Have you tried plugging the phone charger into a different outlet, to see what happens? At least you might be able to narrow down if it's the outlet, or the phone charger that triggers his behaviour.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Regardless of what you do here, for better sleep health you should move the phone out of the bedroom. The light from electronic devices disrupts sleep without you being aware of it.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has this behaviour that is driving me nuts. My bed is next to an outlet where I use my phone charger over night to charge my phone. Sometimes my cat will go near this and proceed to rub his face and neck to mark or claim the phone charger plug. When he does this I turn off the switch and unplug the charger but if I do this or even move near the charger and most recently not moved at all and just happened to have my arm hanging out towards the outlet in my sleep he bites me on the wrist or arm and it's a clamp down painful bite! It is almost as if he is protecting the charger from me? He is never aggressive but to get him to stop I have to lift him away or threaten a cushion to be thrown at him. He maybe does this 50%of the time so it's not every night. Washing the area and using lemons hasn't helped.
Anyone have an idea on why he does this and how I can please get him to stop?
most likely he likes electrical radiation :) many cats like to lie on electrical appliances :) but the outlet is dangerous, and we would advise you to move the outlet out of the reach of the cat, for example, inside a nightstand with a lockable door :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Beanz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm.... that's a puzzling one. :headscratch: Have you tried plugging the phone charger into a different outlet, to see what happens? At least you might be able to narrow down if it's the outlet, or the phone charger that triggers his behaviour.
He only does it at night, when I'm in bed. If I move the charger to a different outlet socket he doesn't care about the charger. It seems to be that area in particular, down between the bed and wall! He's lived with me in 4 houses now and has only done it in the current house. He's a mad fart but I love him 😂

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That outlet could make a noise/vibration you can't hear/feel when something is plugged into it. - something he can sense. If he doesn't do it anywhere else, you might consider not using that outlet and in the future when you need any electrical work, have them check the outlet for wiring issues.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thinking the same as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that there might be something quirky with that outlet, and for that reason I'd also avoid using it, and consider getting it checked out by an electrician.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That outlet could make a noise/vibration you can't hear/feel when something is plugged into it. - something he can sense. If he doesn't do it anywhere else, you might consider not using that outlet and in the future when you need any electrical work, have them check the outlet for wiring issues.
:thumbsup:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...you might consider not using that outlet and in the future when you need any electrical work, have them check the outlet for wiring issues.
I'm thinking the same as FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ...there might be something quirky with that outlet, and for that reason I'd also avoid using it, and consider getting it checked out by an electrician.
I don't think it's likely that there is an electrical problem that's causing this but there might still be something going on with the outlet.

Take the cover off the outlet (or have a knowledgeable person do it for you) then look inside the junction box in the wall.
Check to be sure that there aren't any foreign objects or debris inside the box and that the box is properly sealed.

Somebody who lived there before you could have hidden something inside the box like money or drugs. Hey! It's been known to happen! It's also possible that squirrels or other critters have gotten into that outlet from inside the wall and hidden stuff in there or even made a nest. Remember, the insides of the walls of your house are hollow. All sorts of things can happen inside there where you can't see.

I had an uncle who had a swarm of honey bees build a nest inside the walls of his house. He didn't know anything was wrong until his walls started dripping honey! True story! He had to call a professional beekeeper to get the bees out!

It is more likely, however, that the outlet just isn't sealed properly or the walls aren't insulated the way that they should be and that the wind is blowing through your walls and coming out of the outlet box. Your cat probably smells The Great Outdoors because of the air that's blowing into the room through your outlet.

I think that it's pretty unlikely that a purely electrical problem is causing your cat's weird behavior but there are plenty of other things that can happen inside an outlet box or inside the walls which we can't even see and those things could, very well, be causing your cat to act strangely.