Cat bites one person only

daniellee7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I’ve had my cat since she was a kitten. I live with other people but she specifically only bites one. Idk why bc the person will just be laying down or walking around & she immediately bites them. She’s been doing it since she was a kitten. Sometimes she’s fine but most of the time she isn’t. It’s weird though bc she will sleep with this person or follow them around but the biting just doesn’t stop. I distract her with toys when she does it but she won’t stop doing it completely. I’m not sure what to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Whatever is causing it has been' going on for so long now, I doubt you can stop it. The person she bites can let out a ‘screech’ or similar noise to let her know she is 'hurting' them, and after a period of time, that may work.

No offense, but there is likely some movement or motion that this person makes that elicits her reaction – it just hasn’t been picked up on yet, because we take our own actions for granted and never think anything of them. If the person is tall or has a low voice, for example, unlike anyone else in the house, sometimes those types of things tend to trigger certain cats

It’s obvious she likes the person or she wouldn’t spend time around them, so it has to be something they are doing before she bites.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Play biting is often with one person. Its like, for whatever reason, the cat has learned (or at least decided) that biting so and so person is a game. Its no different from having a particular shade cord they go after and leaving the others alone.

So I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that the original reason is irrelevant. It needs to be trained away like any other negative behavior.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So I agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner FeebysOwner FeebysOwner that the original reason is irrelevant. It needs to be trained away like any other negative behavior.
Well, yes it will still take some behavior modification, but if the person is 'causing' the biting by something they do, the modification can occur for both the cat and the person!!

CuteBabyBiscuit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m having this problem with my kitten (11 months old) and I have no idea what to do. she does it to me and im still not sure what I do to provoke it