Cat bites dog!

threecatsnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a new adopted stray cat that is less than a year old. Super friendly and gets along with rest of the family two other cats and a golden retriever. A few times the new cat will climb on our golden retriever and bite into his fur and hang on tight. Almost like a vampire! Our golden is too passive and tolerates this. What is the cat doing? It does not seem friendly or playful.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I could be wrong, but it sounds like play fighting or practice hunting skills, like kittens do with each other. I know it can sometimes look serious, but if the dog is tolerating it and isn't actually getting hurt it could likely be all it is. My youngest cats (about a year and a half now but still act like kittens) will practice hunt each other all the time, pouncing on and even go for the neck like they are taking down prey, but it's not serious and no one ends up actually hurt (they back off if someone gets mad or lets out a cry), it's just practicing and honing their hunting skills.The older cats normally don't want to "play" and get mad so the "prey" in their fake hunts is normally either each other. Sometimes though they will even "hunt" my rough collie (he is seriously one of the most passive dogs I have ever met), so they can go after much bigger "prey" too especially if they know the dog isn't a threat and wont do anything.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I could not agree with amethyst amethyst 's statement more! This is almost certainly play behavior. ALL play in cats is honing hunting skills, in one form or another. If it were a serious attack, your dog would have been injured. Your cat is well-able to get through even dense fur. And your dog is also amazingly patient!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Our golden is too passive and tolerates this.
That's exactly why Goldens are the perfect family dog! 👍 They have such wonderful and easy going temperaments which is why he tolerates the newest member of your pack, i.e. adopted stray kitty. If you get a pic of them together we'd love to see it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatsnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope you are correct. It did happen when the other cats refused to engage or play with him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the pics! Fingers crossed Tex and Marlowe will become bff's. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threecatsnow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At 4:00 in the morning the cat was at it again. He climbs on my dogs back grabs his neck fur and hangs on tight until the dog finally growls and maneuvers the cat off. Then the cat was back at it again and again. I kept rooting for Marlowe to teach the kitty a lesson but he really wouldn't!

My wife called me from work this morning and were talking about the cat and she says she saw the kittys private parts and I mention I saw some micro thrusting...and a discovery was made. The kitty is trying to get it on with the golden retriever!

Now what should we do?

P.S. I already feel better about the biting knowing it's not meant to be mean.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sorry for the hysterical laughter. OH...you couldn't hear it. Good. This is not unusual behavior, especially if he was neutered later in life. And they can be attracted to the STRANGEST things! Had a friend whose cat was "in love" with my friend's left fuzzy slipper. ONLY the left fuzzy slipper! He was a faithful little thing. You might try giving him a fuzzy blankie, and see if he will transfer his affections. It may or may not work. The good news is, although the dog is annoyed, there's no harm done. Granted, the embarrassment factor for the humans involved can be fairly high, but neither the cat nor the dog are in any danger, whatsoever! Good to know that he's a lover, not a fighter!