Cat bites and freaks during nail trims

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats and a large dog who all get along well together. They're all pretty bonded to me. Both cats were feral street kittens. The older cat I found at 3 months old on the street in Aruba. I literally picked him up took him to the vet and flew him home to the US and he's almost 10 now. He's always been perfect for nail trims, just stats still and relaxed for his pedicures and purrs the whole time. He even gets jealous if I trim another cat's nails and comes over wanting his nails done and pushes the other cat away.

My other cat was found with his brother and sister at 8 months old and out in a shelter for a month until he got neutered and medically checked. Then he was separated from his siblings and I adopted him at around nine months after he lived in the streets his whole previous life.
He spent a month in my bathroom getting used to me and having daily visits with my other cat and dog. Then I let h out and we've been gradually bonding for over a year now.

He's always freaked out if he's picked up or restrained or confined by a human. Or hugged or anything confining. He's at least my 12th cat and I've had maybe one other feral cat that was like that, you couldn't face her to approach her, but she wasn't this extreme and she never bit anyone. My other 3 or 4 or 5 feral cats didn't have this issue.
First time I cut his nails he freaked out and bit me drawing blood.
I took him to the vet and two people cut his nails with no problem. They gave me a sedative to use for next time.

The next time I tried I got him in the bathroom and locked us in there and was able to cut all his nails with no issues with lots of praise and patting and taking breaks between each paw.
Now it's been a long time so I cut my other cat's nails last night while both cats were on the bed with me. He stayed on the bed while I cut the nails and heard me praising and patting my good cat.
He was still on the bed so I was able to cut both front paws all the nails even the dew claws. When I reached for the back paw he pulled away and when I held the scruff of his neck and said no stay, no yelling or harming him just being firm he freaked and first but my finger and then bit my arm drawing blood and leaving multiple nasty gashes on my arm. He ran and hid all night and all day today. I out the medicine on a can of food I opened and left in the bathroom hoping I could catch him in there eating and lock him in so I can clip the last two feet but now he won't come out at all. I saw him walk by a couple of times but even if I talk to him he hides. Usually he knows his name and comes when I call him and likes to sit on my bed with me and wants lots of pets. I never yelled at him or even got mad.
Probably doesn't help that my dad is here staying with me who hadn't been here since Christmas and I'm moving in a few weeks so we've been packing things and there's boxes everywhere.
This cat hides if anyone comes over but usually comes out in my room and sits with me. And he knows and likes my dad but it's been a long time since he was here.
I'm not sure how to get him past these phobias since he reacts so strongly and aggressively.
I'm usually decent at training animals but none of my other animals attack me and draw blood either.
I've cut nails on all my other cats even my adult feral cat and even the ones that would nip never drew blood and I could just wrap them up in a towel with only one paw out at a time. This cat seems so claustrophobic he'd go crazy wrapped in a towel. I haven't tried it but I think I'd wind up more injured.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
was still on the bed so I was able to cut both front paws all the nails even the dew claws. When I reached for the back paw he pulled away
Up to this point you were making amazing headway. When he pulled away, this is when you should have listened to him, and stopped.

Probably doesn't help that my dad is here staying with me who hadn't been here since Christmas and I'm moving in a few weeks so we've been packing things and there's boxes everywhere.
It sounds like he was fine with all this. However, you now need to be even more patient with him. He needs cat music, Spotify has a collection called Car In My Arms.

Also, try ignoring him and just go on with your (relatively :) ) normal routines.

I realize they aren't kittens but this also might help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply! I'm always afraid that if I let them get away with an undesired behavior like pulling away and leaving in training them that they can do it and it's acceptable.

I should have just done it in the bathroom like the previous times where he can take a break but not actually escape. I did all four pass successfully the last time.

Maybe I'll just have the vet do it for a while.

He did jump up on the bed and was back to his affectionate self a few minutes ago so that's good at least.