Cat Bite/scratch Turned Into Abscess - Crazy Amount Of Puss

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Well around 5 days ago Luna was acting
strange took her Vet straight away knew something wasn’t right, he checked her but just gave antibiotics as she had a very high temp, she went back to normal but just this morning I noticed her licking a lot near her tail and there it was a big puncture wound with unbelievable amounts of crap pouring out. Straight the vets and he drained it all out, gave a different antibiotics and pain relief and some tablets for me to give her for a week. How long do you think before she recovers and how long would you suggest she can go back out. I’m actually debating now whether to keep her in for good or not. The hole has got bigger but it’s not leaking anymore, she was in unreal pain when he was draining it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ouch, that looks sore. If it is still weeping I would bathe it with a cotton wool ball or a clean soft cloth soaked in warm water. Squeeze the water out of the ball/ cloth and gently wipe it clean. Do this a few times a day. It would be better to keep her in and the wound clean. Cats heal quite quickly so you see a difference in a few days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ouch, that looks sore. If it is still weeping I would bathe it with a cotton wool ball or a clean soft cloth soaked in warm water. Squeeze the water out of the ball/ cloth and gently wipe it clean. Do this a few times a day. It would be better to keep her in and the wound clean. Cats heal quite quickly so you see a difference in a few days.

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks!!

She is gonna be kept in 2 days Min and I’ll clean it with salt water. Do you think she is ok cleaning the wound or leave the collar on?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is from many run ins with abscesses:

1. Clean the area as often as possible.
  2. Do NOT allow it to scab over until there is no sign of infection, swelling or redness. Usually about a week. Air flow is the enemy of the infection.
  3. Clean with a tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide in the water. I am usually against peroxide for wound care BUT it will help clean off the scab easier and has the benefit of slowing healing so it will keep the wound open longer. I don't use cotton balls because I feel they leave fibers behind. I use either multiple washcloths or paper towels. Usually one to removed yuckiness, a second to do a clean wipe of the area and a third to hold.
  4. At each cleaning use warm water and hold the final cloth or towel over the wound until it goes cool. The heat will help draw out the infection. If your cat allows you can rewet and repeat the warm compress action.
  5. After about a week you can let it scab. It's when there is no more puss for at least 24 hours and you think it is healing cleanly.
Again, this is from my run ins and based on experience and conversations with my vet. Also, you might want to consider adding a probiotic to your cats food while on the antibiotics.

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is from many run ins with abscesses:

1. Clean the area as often as possible.
  2. Do NOT allow it to scab over until there is no sign of infection, swelling or redness. Usually about a week. Air flow is the enemy of the infection.
  3. Clean with a tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide in the water. I am usually against peroxide for wound care BUT it will help clean off the scab easier and has the benefit of slowing healing so it will keep the wound open longer. I don't use cotton balls because I feel they leave fibers behind. I use either multiple washcloths or paper towels. Usually one to removed yuckiness, a second to do a clean wipe of the area and a third to hold.
  4. At each cleaning use warm water and hold the final cloth or towel over the wound until it goes cool. The heat will help draw out the infection. If your cat allows you can rewet and repeat the warm compress action.
  5. After about a week you can let it scab. It's when there is no more puss for at least 24 hours and you think it is healing cleanly.
Again, this is from my run ins and based on experience and conversations with my vet. Also, you might want to consider adding a probiotic to your cats food while on the antibiotics.
Many thanks for this, I’ll try and keep on top of it and check it daily. She is wearing a collar and she hates it. Would you advise this be left on for a while so she doesn’t lick the wound, I take it off for meals.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many thanks for this, I’ll try and keep on top of it and check it daily. She is wearing a collar and she hates it. Would you advise this be left on for a while so she doesn’t lick the wound, I take it off for meals.
I would leave the collar on. Healing wounds itch like no one's business and her licking it will only make it worse at this point. You can take it off as long as you are keeping an eye on her to prevent her messing with it. There are inflatable donut type cones that you can buy online that some cats have an easier time with. I still use the cone from a cat who passed away 10 years ago so it can be a long term purchase and worth getting a good one.

I think I forgot to mention it, but keep her inside until it is no longer weeping and a few days after you do let it scab. You don't want her accidentally pulling off a fresh scab or getting it dirty. I usually do two weeks in with abcesses to be safe.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, you might want to consider adding a probiotic to your cats food while on the antibiotics.
You should probably continue the probiotic for a few days after the antibiotics are finished as well; the antibiotics will be undoing the good of the probiotic almost as fast as you give it to her while they're still being administered.

Salt water is good against infection, but it does sting and you have the antibiotics for the infection; better to add a bit of hydrogen peroxide instead, as Kieka Kieka advised.

Margret

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet for Nolvason solution. It’s cheap ($5) and will last longer than you need it. It’s great for keeping the wound clean and apparently doesn’t sting. I’m treating an abscess right now too. 2nd time I’ve used Nolvason and seems it speeds up healing time.

SteveJohn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the help. Someone said something to me today which had me thinking. Is this defo a cat bite/scratch? Could it be from a pellet gun? Although I suppose the pellet would be still in there or the vet would know.

Cleaning it is a struggle she goes crazy and keeping her in is worse but got to be done I suppose.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most abcesses are scratch or bite related, higher probability of infection setting in with those injuries. A BB is usually fairly clean compared to teeth or claws so less likely to get infection. It is possible that your vet wouldn't see a BB unless they took x-rays.