Cat Bite Abscess? I Need Input Please.

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed my cat has a small puncture wound with hair missing around it for 3-4 days now. Although my husband insists it's just a wound that will heal in time but after I investigated it, it seems that might not be the case and he could have an abscess.

I've never had to contend with this kind of issue before. Our cats play fight and get rough sometimes and so I know that's how the injury was caused. To add they're indoor cats.

I'm getting quite anxious over this and I plan to call the vet tomorrow but my stubborn husband thinks we should wait.

Touching the wound causes no pain and his behavior is otherwise normal. Advice is truly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Ask the vet if you can send in a photo, but if it isn't swelling and, as you mentioned, he isn't acting any differently, he may be ok. The hair loss seems a bit odd though.
Let us know what they say :vibes::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Ask the vet if you can send in a photo, but if it isn't swelling and, as you mentioned, he isn't acting any differently, he may be ok. The hair loss seems a bit odd though.
Let us know what they say :vibes::crossfingers:
Thanks for the insight. I plan to call first thing in the morning. I'm just the type that gets anxious until I get in touch with the vet. Meanwhile I was looking to learn what I can.

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: We already had a vet appointment for our rabbit, she has an eye infection. As for our cat Wesley we put hydogen peroxide and antibiotics at the site of the injury which surprisingly improved his condition within only 6 hours. I spoke to the vet and she said that those steps were appropriate. My sister in law had done the same thing at the advice of her vets so we followed suit. She also told me a feral she's been taking care of, Crookshanks had an abcsess and it almost killed him. It was hard to care for Crook and catch him but she did and the vet took care of him. So apparently an abscess has a possibility of becoming very dangerous.

So after speaking to the vet today about Wes, and after further consultation with her and discussing the ins and outs of his current condition, I decided it's important to have Wes checked for a possible abscess. So we're taking them both tomorrow. I'm relieved to get them examined to see what's going on. The sooner the better before a potential problem can get a lot worse.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No worries, it happens to all of us :) You could click on the little black flag in the lower left hand corner of the double post, and in the box that pops up say it's a duplicate post, could they please remove it?

Mari333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: We just go back. Gratefully our vet just quickly looked at Wes and waived the $74 fee because there really wasn't a full exam. Fortunately it's doesn't look like an abscess but it needs to be monitored. However, our rabbit has to stay overnight for her eye discharge care and cleaning the hardened discharge which caused her skin damage which will cost roughly $340. Within the last 3 months we've spent $1050 between our cats and rabbit. I've been seriously looking into pet insurance but people are saying that can be a hit or miss. We have a great vet so I'm thankful for that.