Cat bit me twice now

Xarv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good afternoon fellow cat lovers/owners. I have a very sweet tabby (neutered) male cat of about 3 years old. His name is Leia. He's very sweet and you can do anything with him (pick him up, pet him everywhere, touch his paws, he's good with anything). But this very sweet cat has bitten me twice in 2.5 years now.

The first time happened when he was 9 months old. His leg got stuck in one of those weird, wiry mobs, and he was completely freaking out. I was dumb and just reached for him to free him. In the process of freeing him he bit me in my hand. I didn't think much of it back then. I mean, he was freaked out and scared, of course he'd bite. This was on me, not him.

But yesterday, he bit me again. This time his buddy, Luke, had his leg stuck in a window. Luke was freaking out and making very angry noises. This put Leia in an immediate battle mode. I didn't think much of Leia, as I rushed to Luke. One second later, I just lifted him up and freed him. All was well, except that I all of a sudden felt 4 teeth sink into my bottom. Leia had attacked me from behind, actually jumped up to bite me in the arse! Luke was already free at that point, which I set down onto the table. Leia flung himself at him as well, but Luke whacked him back. At that point, Leia was in full on battle mode, hair straight up, noises like the devil and ears pinned way back. But a few pspsfpspss later and he calmed straight back down, and all was well again.

So, is this just a fight response from Leia, who just didn't understand the situation? He heard angry noises, got the fight response and because he couldn't get to the 'threat' immediately, turned to me (as I moved) and afterwards Luke? Is this something I should worry about?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds like redirected aggression due to Leia being freaked out by Luke's situation. Not uncommon. Either the cat lashes out at the other cat, or the human nearby.

Both times appear to be totally unrelated to anything you did yourself to cause it from happening.

I do hope you've seen your doctor for the bites, however, as cat bites can go really bad fast. Better to get that treated and start on antibiotics before that happens.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with sivyaleah sivyaleah , it sounds like redirected aggression. When Leia got stuck a few years ago, he maybe was frightened, he was hurt and didnt realize you were helping him so tried to protect himself. This time, Luke was hurt and again Leia didnt understand what was happening so lashed out again. I wouldn't worry but I would have the bite checked if you see any redness, swelling or it becomes sore. If you have any antibiotic cream at home, apply some to the area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xarv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Sivyaleah. Redirected was the word I was looking for, but couldn't quite think of it in English. I'm glad to read that it does appear to be this behaviour, which is nothing out of the ordinary. I shall just be paying more attention to him when something odd happens. No more turning my back to him when something upsetting happens, that's for sure.