Cat bit me.. It's red and swollen..

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, the thread title should be self explanatory. My 3 months old kitten bit me like an hour ago. It bled a little so I quickly washed it with hand wash. As you can see in the picture, it's a little swollen and the bite mark is there. Should I be worried? Fyi I've already had her vaccinated and she's an Indoor cat like she never goes outside. Thank you.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat bites are very prone to infection, and can turn bad very fast. If you keep dousing it with plenty of antiseptic you might be lucky, but keep a very close eye on it. At the first sign of it swelling further get straight to a doctor.

Mega :vibes: that it heals quickly without problems :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
P purpleunicornic
I volunteered at a shelter for almost a year. I always cleaned cat bites and scratches with peroxide.

I know not everyone agrees with using peroxide, but I found that if anything was swelling up --- thst kept it from becoming a larger problem

Hope this heals up for you quickly

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
The picture doesn't look like infection to me, it just looks like skin inflammation from having been damaged.  Keep it clean and keep an eye on in.

Cats don't have any nastier mouths than any other creature (except Komodo Dragons), but the shape of their fangs means that the mouth bacteria are plunged in pretty deep.  That's why infection must be watched for, it's really hard to get alcohol / peroxide / benzalkonium chloride and neosporin / bacitracin in that deep.

mysticotala

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had to go through this, my father ended up at the emergency room.  It'll be VERY obvious if it is infected.  Your hand will swell up very large and fairly quickly.  Definitely keep an eye on it. Hope you don't have any complications!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

purpleunicornic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all of you for your responses. I washed it again with antibiotic soap and it won't swell anymore. The redness is gone. The bite was pretty sharp and deep tho like I felt it instantly as the teeth got into my skin.