Cat Birthing Placenta With No Kitten, Help!

Emilybethan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My cat Bella is 60 days pregnant and has passed 2 placentas in the passed 36 hours. She is still pregnant, eating, drinking, using her litter box, playing and basically acting completely normal. I don't want to take her to the vet as it really stresses her out and i don't want to upset further labor.

There wasn't really any blood (tiniest bit of pink discharge) absolutely no puss or anything else suspicious. The placentas came out rolled up with no cords attached and she ate them.

I spoke to a breeder today and they said sometimes cats will develop random placentas that aren't and have never been attached to a kitten. The cat with then give birth normally a few days afterward. Has anyone heard of this before?

Thank you!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Emilybethan Emilybethan

It's unusual, but can happen. She's not due for a few more days to a week. As long as she is doing fine there is not much a vet can do anyway.

Wait it out and hope the kittens will all be healthy with placentas of their own. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emilybethan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 Thank you! This is what i think too, but i love her so much and I'm such a worrier that need reassurance! The people got her from told me she was spayed, couldn't abort them so I'd feel so responsible is anything happened to her!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you got this explanation from this breeder, whom surely knows.

But it is not common!

The other explanation I can imagine, is if you by any reason didnt noticed the self birth. And the premature kittens died in minutes or even were stillborn, and momma cat immediately ate up them. THIS happens now and then. They dont want to leave any traces nor scents to predators and ants to follow into the nest.

Emilybethan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good you got this explanation from this breeder, whom surely knows.

But it is not common!

The other explanation I can imagine, is if you by any reason didnt noticed the self birth. And the premature kittens died in minutes or even were stillborn, and momma cat immediately ate up them. THIS happens now and then. They dont want to leave any traces nor scents to predators and ants to follow into the nest.

I didn't leave her side the whole time, no kittens attached. Funny how shes just gone back to her normal happy self. I'm a nervous wreck! (:

Emilybethan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 StefanZ StefanZ She is eating a lot! Shes always loved her food but shes had everything iv'e given her today (so much). Is this a sign of nearing labor?

P.S her baby daddy just showed up on our roof calling for her. Shes at the window, paw on the glass...Romeo and Juliet. (Don't worry, hes not allowed in).

p.p.s I've felt the kittens move so i think they're alive!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's just hungry! The babies need a few more days.

The tom cat is there because of her pregnancy hormones, which are the same ones that appear during the heat cycle. He just wants to mate. He does not realize she is pregnant.

Emilybethan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww, there was me thinking he was a gentleman! :lol:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ah, its fully possible they ARE friends anyways. Its not that unusual.

I got here to think on an old joke. It was this holy rabbi, whom told: I work and write the whole day, into afternoon. There are always at least 2 angels standing at my elbows guarding me and my work. Later on comes two new angels, and help me with the washing etc, and go to bed. During the night there are too two angels howering in the room. In the morning comes 10 angels and helps me get up and go back to work. "10 angels? why so many??". The rabbi smiled sadly and said: What, do you really think it would be enough with mere 2 angels to draw me away from my beloved wife Sarah??

Emilybethan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be great if you could help to get the dad neutered as well!
Unfortunately he doesn't belong to me. I was old my cat was already spayed when i got her. This will be her first and last litter! I think people think having kittens is fun...It's sooo stressful!!

Bubblydom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this thread is super old, just wondering the outcome? My pregnant cat, she's about 61 days in, looked like she was going into labour last Night, delivered a placenta but then nothing else and is now totally back to normal. I can still feel movement in her tummy so I'm just wondering if you're was a happy outcome as my vet has told me to wait it out!