Cat being hospitalized for kidney disease not eating at vet

david sms

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three few weeks ago my cat Katrina (she's small and lost weight so just 7 pounds now and 15 years old) became constipated, I got her through it with an enema, but she remained lethargic, so I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago. She has been drinking a lot of water for many months and does occasionally vomit clear liquid, foam, and hairballs, so I suspect she had kidney problems for awhile. She also has some bad teeth in the back and would sometimes howl while eating or drop some food on the ground. Her BUN was 114, CREA was 7.5, Potassium was 2.8, Phosphorus 10.6, White blood cell count was 18.74, Neutrophils was 16.28, Monocytes 0.75, Plateletcrit 0.87, Red blood cell 7.70. She also had a high blood pressure, I believe the first number was around 180/190 at the vet. They said she was in kidney failure and would need to be hospitalized with aggressive fluid therapy, so I agreed to leave her from Friday morning and didn't pick her up until Monday evening.

After the treatment her BUN came down to 70, CREA to 4.3 and Phosphorus down to 7.3. When I got her back she was still mostly lethargic and wouldn't eat or drink on her own. I tried force feeding her and giving water through a dropper over the next few days. She did vomit a few times, and she didn't seem to want to swallow the food as I had to keep stuffing it back in and much of the water would also drip down her face. I gave her Cyproheptadine a few times from Monday through Wednesday, but saw no improvement in appetite. She wouldn't take more than a few licks of water, and would sometimes just hold her head above the water bowl. She had no interest in eating on her own at all, and would sort of gag or turn her head away if I put any food on a plate in front of her.

I called on Wendesday night and explained there was no improvement. I suggested she might need some teeth extracted as she does have some bad teeth in the back, but the vet wanted to do an ultrasound to check for cancer instead so I agreed and took her back in the next morning, but there was no cancer, they only found a lot of inflammation. After the utlrasound they did another bloodtest and her BUN had risen to 93, her CREA to 7.2, Phosphorus to 15.7, Potassium to 3.0, White blood cell to 24, Hemoglobin to 9.2 Red blood cell count 5.94 Neutrophils 10.54, Lymphocytes 11.60, Monocytes 1.39, Platelets 62, Platelcrit 0.10.

Since the kidney numbers got worse after being home for a few days, the vet wanted to hospitalize her again for another 3 days and said they would give me fluids to give her at home after it's finished this time (they didn't tell me to start giving any fluids yet after her first stay). I mentioned the teeth again but the vet insisted the problem is the kidneys and not the teeth although agreed the teeth are a problem. So I agreed to leave her there for another 3 days, starting last night. The vet updated me today to tell me she is doing "okay" but still not eating and they intend to continue with the IV fluids at the hospital. They've given her a Cerenia injection, KCL injection, and Unsayn injection. They are planning to prescribe me potassium gloconate gel and benazepril after this.

So would it be best to keep her there another 3 days to bring the values down as they wanted, considering she was still lethargic after their original attempt? Or would it be better to ask them to insert a feeding tube and take her home? Is being hospitalized at the vet really so much better for healing than giving fluids at home and doing other home care? I asked the vet this and he said they recover better as it's given through the veins at the hospital and at home it's through the skin, along with some other reasons. I'm open to any other suggestions or ideas on what would be the best course of action? Thanks.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I keep waiting for members who have experience with this to come forward and offer their first hand experiences. But, so far - alas - that has not yet happened.

While you wait for it to happen, I presume you are familiar with this web site - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat (felinecrf.org). They also have a support group that you might want to join as well - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Tanya's Support Group (felinecrf.org). Maybe some of the folks there will be more responsive? :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::vibes::vibes:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:redheartpump:
I am so sorry your Katrina is going through this -- I hope she pulls through! She sounds like she is going through a very difficult time right now. I'm not going to address her labwork results as I am not a vet ... but I know if it were my kitty, I would feel most comfortable with her staying at the hospital, being constantly evaluated, and most likely in good care there.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have had three kidney cats, and none of them ever had numbers as high as your Katrina :frown:. That being said, I would probably leave her right where she is for the time being. Your Vet is correct in that having fluids delivered through the vein is much better than under the skin. It can be delivered slower and constantly, thus hydrating the entire body consistantly.

As for the feeding tube, kidney cats are know to be difficult to feed. Their appetites just aren't there. Not sure a feeding tube is the answer. Sure, you will be able to get nourishment into her, but my guess is the moment you have it removed, you'll be in the same boat you are now. So, you would really be looking at having it in her for the rest of her life. (my opinion only). What we did was used Mirataz, which is an appetite stimulant that you rub into their ear flap, and also used Furosemide as an injectable (into the scruff) for overacidity for the clear type vomiting so famous in kidney cats. Those two things did help, along with very small, frequent meals. And when I say small, I meal tiny. Maybe not even one tablespoon, including the added water. We fed only wet food, with water added so they could just lap it up. This would be very beneficial if Katrina has bad teeth. I'm guessing they don't want to anesthesize her with kidney issues. And when I say frequent meals, I mean 8 - 9 times per day (and middle of the night). I bought many different canned foods and kept trying until I found things they liked. I didn't care about the amount of phosphorus in them since our Vet said the most important thing is that they eat!

We also gave sub-q fluids a few times per week, but as I said, their numbers weren't as bad. I'm guessing you will still need to do those once Katrina comes back home. Do read that webside posted above. It was definitely my "go to" for everything kidney related.