cat being extremely fussy with her food !

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
i haven’t posted here in a while but recently quinn has developed a very frustrating and worrying pickiness with her food, to the point where she’s only eating a meal a day [her meals are 50g - 70 g per portion] she’s always grazed on her food and has been a bit of a difficult eater, always preferred people around her when eating etc but she’s now just mostly refusing most of her meals, she’s acting completely normal, had her checked over by a vet as she had a snuffley nose and i was thinking maybe that she had an upper respiratory infection but she was given a clean bill of health, she’s almost 6 months and is 2.66kg so is a good weight for her size, as she’s pretty small, she eats treats when offered and eats her dry food too when we put it out on an evening for her to eat in the night, she’s just being extremely picky to a point where i just cannot stop worrying about her losing weight, she hasn’t bern neutered yet, she has a consultation on dec 16th and i was thinking she might be getting close to coming into heat ? any advice would be greatly appreciated :updown:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe she is a little fed up with the food, do you rotate, is she still on kitten food? If she likes the dry, mix a little in with the wet. You could also add half of a creamy treat to the wet and mix well together or crumble a couple of treats on top of the wet, a little grated cheese can work too. Its really difficult getting a fussy cat to eat so just try any trick you can think of.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's snuffly she might also be congested, in which case it might be worth asking the vet to listen to Quinn's head and consider an antihistamine. If she's having difficulty smelling, her food might not seem very appealing. Extra-stinky foods are usually helpful when cats have respiratory infections and the same would go for other sources of congestion.

What V verna davies says about putting stuff on top of her food is great advice: we use crushed Pure Bites (chicken), Dr. Elsey's chicken kibble, and various freeze-dried raw foods on our cats' meals. They keep our pickier cat interested in her food!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe she is a little fed up with the food, do you rotate, is she still on kitten food? If she likes the dry, mix a little in with the wet. You could also add half of a creamy treat to the wet and mix well together or crumble a couple of treats on top of the wet, a little grated cheese can work too. Its really difficult getting a fussy cat to eat so just try any trick you can think of.
she’s on kitten and adult foods, it depends on the brands and the quality of them, i rotate between animonda vom feinsten, blink, feringa, i do tend to add more brands to the rotation, she used to have more but got bored to the point where it was just expensive to buy food on the hope she’ll eat it this time round, i also have whiskas as an emergency cheap food to kickstart her appetite, i’m ordering some more brands soon to see if she likes them, she has tried wild freedom but turned her nose up at the chicken and veal flavour, i tried bozita too in the kitten and also got the crayfish flavour and the elk flavour and she hated all three of them, she used to love animonda carny but got bored pretty quick but i think i’ll put some of that in the zooplus order, i’ve started mixing dry food in and it works pretty well and i also tend to crumble up cosma or thrive freeze dried tuna treats because she absolutely loves them, but i’m actually out of them, going to pick some up from petsathome tomorrow, i’ll try the cheese trick if she doesn’t eat her next meal as she adores cheese, she purrs whenever she sees me eating it and tries to steal some so i’m sure that’ll work !! thank you haha :lol::hearthrob: