Cat behaviour

Mcullinane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Just got a new kitten. About 3 months old
But it has hidden under a bookcase. I know he can get out as I was trying to coax him out with food. Would not take it off my hand but when I left the room he came out ate and went back in.
have tried cat toys and talking softly nothing seems to work.I can hear him purring as I sit here is that a good or bad sign.
now a stupid question could he grow while under there and not be able to come out.
Am a little worried as he under there since last night.
Thanks.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is very scared of his new surroundings. Give him time to adjust. It's very common for cats to hide for a few days when first coming home. You could try luring him out with a toy. That has worked for me in the past. Another thing that has worked is I would just lie on the floor near where he is and be quiet and let him come to me on his terms.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might take a little while for him to get used to his new home, new smells, sounds, people, he is most probably frightened. Leave him settle and come out on his own time. Sit in the room with him, read a book quietly to help him get used to your voice, rub catnip on your hands and reach out for him to smell. Leave an item of worn clothing near him so he will get used to your smell. Be patient, he will come out when he's ready and feels comfortable, just make sure he has food, water and a litter tray.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mcullinane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the help.
Would it help to move the food a little away from hiding place every time he comes out to eat!

Mcullinane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when should I start to worry about him not coming out.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat vary, some settle straight away, others take weeks. He is most probably coming out when the house is quiet, at night or empty. Just be patient, it will happen.

Mcullinane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice.

Mcullinane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi things going well. Starting to come out of hiding and will let my daughter hold him.
have now started litter training so any advice would be helpful. We are putting him on the box after eating but he gets off and goes somewhere else to do it.