Cat behavior towards dog

DarqueCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my male cat, Aryo for almost a year now. We got him when he was only three weeks old, and I've raised him along with my dog I've had for six years now. They get along alright, he seems to like her. We decided to adopt another dog in January, and she is as sweet as can be. She's showed no sign of agression, and when we first got her, we slowly introduced Aryo to Nina, as you're supposed to do. However, for some reason he loves to attack her. Her isn't afraid of her, as he will literally let her sniff his face, or sit near him, but when she isnt looking, or at random times for no reason, he will attack. He will scratch her, hiss, or just smack her for no reason. I am not sure what to do, because he wont stop. I've tried everything I can think of, but I don't think that he is happy in this house, and Nina is terrified. We can't keep living like this, what can I do to help him stop attacking her?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site but sorry you are having a behavior problem between your resident cat, Aryo, and the new dog, Nina. I thought this Article might provide some helpful information for you, scroll down to Stage 2 - Preliminary Desensitization: How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – Cat Articles

BTW, how do the two dogs get along? It sounds like Aryo is protective of his territory and he sees Nina as an intruder. He has already established a relationship with your other dog so as the saying goes, "two's company, three's a crowd." But that doesn't mean to give up, try playing with Aryo when Nina is not in the room, whether using a wand toy, laser pointer, etc. Then when she is settled down bring Nina in but only for short intervals. Also be sure to have high shelves, a cat tree, an escape route, etc. so Aryo can seek a safe place if she decides to retreat. If she continues to attack Nina I would suggest consulting an experienced behaviorist/trainer that can come to your house. I will keep my fingers crossed that they can coexist given a little patience and time. :crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm a little bit confused. You say that Aryo will allow Nina to sniff his face or sit near him...is this past behavior, or current behavior? If Nina was truly terrified of Aryo, she would not approach him for any reason at all, so things might not be as bad as they seem. Of course, Nina would react during an attack, but if they get along at some point afterwards, this is far from hopeless.

Read that article! There may be some trick or technique there that will solve this. If not, let us know if there are, indeed, moments of peace, so that we can understand better how to try to help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DarqueCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site but sorry you are having a behavior problem between your resident cat, Aryo, and the new dog, Nina. I thought this Article might provide some helpful information for you, scroll down to Stage 2 - Preliminary Desensitization: How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog – Cat Articles

BTW, how do the two dogs get along? It sounds like Aryo is protective of his territory and he sees Nina as an intruder. He has already established a relationship with your other dog so as the saying goes, "two's company, three's a crowd." But that doesn't mean to give up, try playing with Aryo when Nina is not in the room, whether using a wand toy, laser pointer, etc. Then when she is settled down bring Nina in but only for short intervals. Also be sure to have high shelves, a cat tree, an escape route, etc. so Aryo can seek a safe place if she decides to retreat. If she continues to attack Nina I would suggest consulting an experienced behaviorist/trainer that can come to your house. I will keep my fingers crossed that they can coexist given a little patience and time. :crossfingers:
So Nina and Mango (my other dog) get along just fine. Aryo was raised with Mango, and when we got him, he was living around a big dog. So, it isn't like he hasn't been around other dogs before. We slowly introduced them, and I give him attention without Nina around. The thing that boggles the mind is, he will be okay with her sniffing him, or walking near hin with no fear showing. Then, when she least expects it, he attacks her at random. That's my concern about it. He will only look fearful after he attacks, and she yelps, because he either scared her, or scratched her bottom a little. He hasn't made her bleed or anything, but I fear that could happen if I can't get him to stop attacking her for no reason. I've also read that article, and practiced all sorts of things that it said to do online. I am at my wits end.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DarqueCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a little bit confused. You say that Aryo will allow Nina to sniff his face or sit near him...is this past behavior, or current behavior? If Nina was truly terrified of Aryo, she would not approach him for any reason at all, so things might not be as bad as they seem. Of course, Nina would react during an attack, but if they get along at some point afterwards, this is far from hopeless.

Read that article! There may be some trick or technique there that will solve this. If not, let us know if there are, indeed, moments of peace, so that we can understand better how to try to help.
Nina since we've had her, has been afraid of Aryo. She's becoming more ballsy lately, which I don't blame her. I think she is tired of being attacked! That being said, Aryo will allow Nina to sniff him, or walk past him no problem, he only attacks her at random.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it at ALL possible that he's trying to play, but being a little rough? Just a thought. Something about the fact that he looks fearful when she yelps made me wonder about that.