Cat behavior after anesthesia

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, me again.

I took my 2 yo mochi into the vet this morning to have a cyston his face drained. I gave him 100 mg of gabepentin before the vet (about three hours before) because he gets extremely stressed and aggressive at the vet. They put him under to remove his facial cyst due to the location and size. He’s been home about 45 minutes to an hour and he’s so out of it. He can barely walk. He got onto the couch,jumped down and ran into the coffee table head first. No more jumping for him. He was quite hungry and ate all of his food first thing when we arrived. Now he’s laying on the floor. Looking super stoned, but not sleeping. He’s kind of just staring into space and not moving or blinking much if at all. The vet said he would probably be pretty drunk for the next 7 hours or so. But I’m worried. She said she’s not worried and that he’ll be fine by morning and mostly back to normal. But he’s not sleeping I thought for sure he’d be sleeping it off all day.

:(((( he’ll be ok right?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he will be okay. Despite being still drugged he is also probably wound up from the vet visit and isn’t ready to settle down and sleep it off. But he will soon and by tomorrow will be back to his old self.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, the first time I brought Sassy to the vet they had to put her under because she was so aggressive. She was definitely a little loopy for the rest of the day but was back to normal by the morning. Next time I brought her in, I gave her gabapentin beforehand. Similarly very loopy but was fine the next morning. It's very hard to watch your little buddy stumbling around because they don't understand why they don't feel good, but rest assured this is normal and they'll be back to their old self soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m trying to gauge if I should initiate play tonight with him as well. He didn’t play much yesterday and obviously not today given the fact that he was sedated last night and this morning.. but we never ever miss a day of play and I don’t want him to be bored. He’s perked up a bit and is on his window seat now watching the outside world. Any thoughts?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie recovered fine when they knocked her out for blood work they even said she came to clawing and trying to bite them :lol: soon as she got home she was normal other than napping a lil more

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would skip the play for tonight. He may not fully have his balance back to play safely and he would do better just sleeping.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the receipt. They may have given him buprenorphine, buprenorphine SR, or Simbadol. If it's the SR (sustained release) or Simbadol (the brand name for the SR), he might be "off" for two or three days. Just know that it will pass and you'll get your cat back in three days. You can plug "Simbadol" into the search box above to read other accounts of cats on Simbadol if you need reassurance. I would skip the play until he's back to normal again. Better bored than injured because he tried to do something beyond his current abilities.

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Check the receipt. They may have given him buprenorphine, buprenorphine SR, or Simbadol. If it's the SR (sustained release) or Simbadol (the brand name for the SR), he might be "off" for two or three days. Just know that it will pass and you'll get your cat back in three days. You can plug "Simbadol" into the search box above to read other accounts of cats on Simbadol if you need reassurance. I would skip the play until he's back to normal again. Better bored than injured because he tried to do something beyond his current abilities.
There’s no mention of which drug they used besides the cerenia injection which I assume is to help with nausea and the onisor injection for pain. Not sure what they used to put him under it just says “local anisthetic.”

after reading some of those accounts i really hope he’s not like this for days on end or I won’t be sleeping. I’ll be up all night with him worrying.

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update he still has not slept and he’s been home almost 6 hours now. He just goes from one spot to another to lay down. But not sleep. He’s in his carrier now which he usually naps in but again. Still not sleeping. UGH. He’s so restless. I hate this for him.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There’s no mention of which drug they used besides the cerenia injection which I assume is to help with nausea and the onisor injection for pain. Not sure what they used to put him under it just says “local anisthetic.”

after reading some of those accounts i really hope he’s not like this for days on end or I won’t be sleeping. I’ll be up all night with him worrying.
Maybe the onsior was all he needs. 🤞

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I
How is Mochi doing today?
I’ve been at work all day BUT I woke up extra early to spend time with him this morning and he played for nearly two hours lmao. Which is something he never does. It’s hard to get him engaged and keep his attention for more than ten minutes at a time most days. My fiancé told me he’s been sleeping a lot today. Probably because he didn’t sleep at all yesterday and he played hard this morning.

hannahe01

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys I posted the other day about my cat mochi and his behavior after having surgery to remove a facial lump two days ago and his behavior after anesthesia.. I thought things would be back to more normal by now.

when he came home he was so high. From the pain meds and from the anesthesia itself. He didn’t sleep a wink. For nearly 24 hours. Yesterday seemed better, he played a ton that morning, and a bit when I got home from work. But he also slept a ton as well..I’m assuming he kinda “crashed” after the long play session and not sleeping for a day. I was happy to see him eating, using the box normally, and playing more than he has in weeks. But his personality is off. He’s 10X more skittish. On guard at every sudden noise. Exploring the apartment like he’s not familiar with it all of a sudden, eyes are still quite dialated. I went to bed around midnight and so did he. Not sure if he was up at all last night but he’s now sleeping in his spot again at 8 am. This is the beginning of day 3 post anesthesia. He’s not as lovey, not as confident, he just seems freaked out. I’m seriously concerned that they have him too much and he won’treturn to normal. I’m calling the vet this morning but I’m distressed. Does anyone else have any experience with this? I feel like it’s been one thing after another lately with him and I am so tired. I want my baby back and I want him to be happy and healthy.